Apple and Pineapple Topiary
By: Annabelle Keller for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
Welcome guests to the table with this warm winter fruit topiary. Don't forget to mention that the pineapple, which sits atop this beautiful piece, is a symbol of hospitality.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Cone, 9" x 4"
- Egg, 3-13/16 x 2-13/16
- Balls, 21 2-1/2"
- Acrylic spray paint, green
- Twisted paper cord, 5 yds. green
- Cotton fabric: 5/8 yd. red; 3/8 yd. gold
- Cinnamon sticks, 21 1" lengths
- Thread, to match gold fabric
- Straight pins
- Thick, white craft glue
For pattern, click here.
- Cut three, 6" lengths of paper cord. Open cord and fold paper into thirds. Using Magnolia Leaf pattern, cut out 18 leaves.
- Paint cone green; let dry. Glue magnolia leaves around bottom; cover remaining bottom with green paper.
- Pineapple. Cut gold fabric: three, 1/2" strips, cut selvage-to-selvage; and 40 2-3/4" circles. Wrap fabric strips around egg, gluing ends. Glue toothpick half-way into large end; using scissors, poke a 1/4" hole in small end. To make yo-yos, turn under 1/8" on edge of each circle; sew running stitch around edge and gather tightly; knot and cut thread. Glue yo-yos to egg; do not cover holes. Cut one, 4-1/2" length of paper cord. Open cord and fold in eighths. Using Pineapple Leaf pattern, cut out eight leaves. Roll together and glue ends of leaves; insert in hole in small end of egg.
- Apples. Flatten tops and bottoms of foam balls by pressing against a tabletop. Cut 42, 1/2" strips of red fabric, cutting selvage to selvage. Wrap two fabric strips around each ball, gluing ends. Using scissors, carefully poke a hole in top of each apple; add glue and insert a 1" cinnamon stick. Cut four, 1-1/2" lengths of paper cord. Open and fold into sixths. Using Apple Leaf pattern, cut out 21 leaves. Glue one leaf on each apple. Insert and glue toothpicks halfway into bottom of each apple. Glue apples to cone in rows, alternating apples: bottom row, six apples; second row, six apples; third row, five apples; fourth row, four apples.
- Insert and glue pineapple to top of cone.
- Greenery. Cut green cord as follows: six, 7" lengths; six, 6" lengths; five, 5" lengths; four, 4" lengths; and five, 3" lengths. Open, fold in half and fringe ends, cutting to 3/4" of fold. Roll each piece, place glue on end, and insert in cone between apples. Use longer lengths around bottom and shorter lengths at the top.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts