Using STYROFOAM materials Diane Flowers shows us how to make a square wreath. It can be used for any time of the year. Bring a seasonal warmth into your home using different colored balls.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Balls: eleven 1-1/2"; eight 2"
- Block: 18" x 12" x 2"
- Paints: antique white acrylic; gold glitter spray; gold paint pen
- Brown antiquing gel stain
- Greenery: 35 artificial begonia (or similar) leaves; light green reindeer moss, one bag
- Gold wire-mesh metallic ribbon, 2" x 5/6 yd.
- Small gold bead garland
- Floral pins
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Two large sheets white tissue paper
- 20 Wooden skewers, 4"
- Waxed paper
- Disposable bowl and spoon
- Small flat paintbrush
- Wire cutters
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white, clear-drying craft glue
- Optional: Disposable gloves
- Optional: Hair dryer
- Mix one part craft glue with two parts water in small bowl. Cover work surface with waxed paper. Tear tissue paper into 2" squares. Put on rubber gloves, if desired.
- Dip one tissue square at a time into glue/water mixture, then smooth onto surface of one foam ball. Continue until ball is covered, allowing tissue pieces to wrinkle and overlap. Repeat until all foam balls are covered. Place balls on waxed paper to dry overnight, turning once halfway through drying time. Note: Speed drying with hair dryer if desired.
- Meanwhile, wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 12" x 16" rectangle from foam block. Cut 8" x 12" opening, leaving 2"-wide foam border all around. Use glue gun to cover wreath with reindeer moss; let dry.
- Paint paper-covered balls antique white; let dry. Use paper towel to rub antiquing gel over balls; use dry paper towel to remove excess. Let dry. Use paint pen to add highlights to balls, leaving some white areas exposed.
- Trim leaf stems to 2" long. Glue and insert stems into front of wreath, allowing leaves to overlap and completely cover wreath.
- Apply glue to ends of skewers and insert into gold balls; let dry. Position balls around wreath. When pleased with arrangement, remove each skewer, apply glue to end and reinsert skewer into wreath.
- Wrap center of ribbon length around center top of wreath; secure with floral pins. Tie ribbon into loose bow for hanger.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to spray gold glitter over wreath; let dry.
- Position bead garland among leaves and balls as desired; spot glue to secure.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.