Make your door look fabulous by decorating it with this Fall fantacy mushroom basket and wreath. It looks great when you welcome your company or it makes a great gift.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: 2-1/2", four; 2", five; 1-1/2", six
- Cones, 3" x 2", four
- Eggs, 3", three
- Rods, 36" x 1", two
- Grapevine bases: 18" wreath; 11" x 14" basket
- Assorted luxury fabrics, 1/8-1/4 yd. each: velvet; suede knit; taffeta; lamé; knit; rayon; etc.
- Metallic gold spray finishes: paint; glitter
- Artificial florals: fern leaves, 6", 13; assorted small leaves; plumosus fern bush; Spanish moss
- Copper ribbon, 1-1/2" x 5 yds.
- Wooden floral picks, 2-1/2", 40
- Cloth-covered floral wire
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden skewer or awl
- Compass or circle templates (3", 4-1/2", 5-1/2", 6")
- Sewing needle and matching threads
- Straight pins
- Wire cutters
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut foam balls and eggs in half. Remove 1/2" from tip of each foam cone. Cut mushroom stems from foam rod of following lengths: four 2-1/2"; nine 2"; nine 1-1/2"; eighteen 1".
- Use glue gun to glue several layers of Spanish moss into bottom of basket and to front bottom edge of wreath.
- Working in well-ventilated area and following manufacturer's instructions, lightly spray basket and wreath with gold paint; let dry. Lightly spray artificial leaves with gold paint, leaving some areas and some leaves unpainted; let dry. Lightly spray leaves with gold glitter; let dry.
- Cut fabric circles to cover mushroom caps as follows: twelve 3" to cover 1-1/2" half-balls; ten 4-1/2" to cover 2" half-balls; eight 5-1/2" to cover 2-1/2" half-balls; ten 6" to cover six half-eggs and four cones. To cover stems, cut fabric 3-1/4" wide and 3/4" longer than stem length; for a 2" stem, cut 2-3/4" x 3-1/4" piece from fabric.
- Pass doubled thread through beeswax for ease of gathering; thread needle. To cover mushroom cap, sew gathering stitch around corresponding fabric circle, 1/4" from edge. Place foam mushroom rounded side down in center of circle and pull threads tight, arranging gathers evenly. Stitch back and forth across opening several times; knot and clip threads.
- To cover stems, center foam stem on corresponding fabric piece with 3/8" of fabric extending beyond each end. Glue one end of fabric to foam, wrap fabric around, and glue opposite end. Clip excess fabric every 1/4" to create tabs; glue tabs to top and bottom of stem. Glue stems to caps; let dry.
- Use skewer or awl to poke hole in center bottom of each stem. Glue one floral pick halfway into each hole; let dry. Refer to photo to arrange mushrooms in wreath and basket as desired. When pleased with arrangements, remove mushrooms one by one and glue back into place.
- Cut 3 yd. length from ribbon; tie center into multi-loop bow. Wire bow to top of wreath and curl tails around wreath. Tie center of remaining ribbon length into bow; wire to basket handle.
- Refer to photo to glue leaves into arrangement as desired. Cut 6" length from wire; twist ends together around top center back of wreath for hanger.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.