Decoupage enthusiast Amy Anderson uses fabric to cover a wood storage box for keeping yarn. She coordinates the cute pear fabric with acrylic paint on the borders and top. Create your own storage box for yarn or anything else.
- FolkArt® Acrylic Paint - Grass Green, Teal (I'd get 3 of each)
- Mod Podge® Fabric & Gloss
- MPI Wood Storage Bin
- 3” Wooden Ball
- Robert Kaufman “Fruit Basket” Fabric, Pear Brown – 1 yard
- 1” Flat Paint Brush
- Craft Glue
- Craft Knife and Mat
- Wax paper
- Acrylic sealer (optional)
- You will first want to prepare the fabric before painting. To do this, wash and dry the fabric (do not use fabric softener). Iron and then lay out on a covered work surface. Wax paper is preferable for covering your table. Using a brush, paint a light coat of Fabric Mod Podge onto your fabric. Allow to dry. This will allow you to cut the fabric like paper without frayed edges.
- While the fabric is drying, begin painting. Basecoat the inside of the bin and the lid with Teal. Allow to dry.
- Basecoat the outside of the bin and the wooden ball with Grass Green. Allow to dry.
- You are now going to cut the fabric. Lay the bin down on top of the fabric and trace one side four times. Cut these pieces out using the scissors.
- Measure approximately ½” inside your cut line on all four pieces and trim them down using the craft knife.
- Adhere these four pieces to the sides using the Gloss Mod Podge. Completely smooth out all air bubbles and allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Coat the entire bin with at least two coats of Gloss Mod Podge. Coat the lid and the wooden ball as well. Allow to dry.
- Go back to the handles on the storage bin and trim the fabric out with a craft knife.
- Glue the wooden ball to the center top of the lid with the craft glue.
- Allow the storage bin to dry for at least 24 hours before using. I recommend spraying with several coats of acrylic sealer to completely finish your project and add durability.
Wondering what other kinds of storage containers you can decorate with decoupage? Find out in our collection of 33 Fabulous Decoupage Ideas Plus 3 Helpful Tutorials!