Turn a plain wood storage bin into a beautiful home decorating accent with this decoupage craft project from Amy Anderson. Use your favorite scrapbook papers and embellishments for this decorative storage project.
- FolkArt® Acrylic Paint
Bright Baby Pink
- Mod Podge® Satin
- Wood Storage Bin
- 2” Wood Balls - 4
- My Mind’s Eye Scrapbook Paper – 4 sheets, 2 each of 2 designs
- Turquoise Ribbon – 1 roll
- Paper Flowers – 4 coordinating (I used Prima)
- Pink Buttons - 2
- 1” Flat Paint Brush
- Craft Glue
- Craft Knife and Mat
- I always trace the shapes for my finished project first. Why? Because if pencil marks get on my surface, then I can paint over them. Start by tracing one side of the bin on the four sheets of paper. Set those sheets aside –you’ll cut them while the paint is drying on your project.
- If you haven’t noticed, I fancy colorblocking. On the storage bin, paint the inside Turquoise, two sides Yellow Citron and two sides Bright Baby Pink. Paint the bottom whatever color you want – I painted it Turquoise. You will have to paint several coats of all colors. Allow to dry.
- While the bin is drying, paint the wood balls Turquoise. Allow to dry.
- You are now going to cut the paper. Measure approximately 1/8” inside your trace line on all four pieces from step 1 and trim them down using the craft knife.
- When your bin is dry, adhere these four pieces to the sides using the Mod Podge. Work one side at a time. Completely smooth out all air bubbles and allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Coat the entire bin with at least two coats of Mod Podge. Coat the inside and the wood balls as well. Allow to dry completely.
- Glue the wood balls to the four corners of the bottom with the craft glue. Allow to dry.
- Cut the ribbon to fit two opposite sides as you see in the photo. Start with one side and glue the pieces down with craft glue about 1/2" apart. Glue some paper flowers down in the center and then add a button to finish. Allow this side to dry before turning bin over and doing the same to the other side.
- Allow the storage bin to dry for at least 24 hours before using.
There are more cute decoupage storage container projects just like this one available in our collection of 33 Fabulous Decoupage Ideas Plus 3 Helpful Tutorials.