An easy decoration by Kathleen George. These patina stars can be given as a housewarming gift or kept inside your own home.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Stars, one each: 12" x 1"; 9" x 1"; 4" x 1/2"
- Faux finishes: Patina Green Antiquing Solution: Copper Metallic Surfacer:
- Embossed scrapbook papers, any color
- Serrated knife
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Paintbrushes: stiff-bristled disposable; 1" sturdy foam
- Paper towels
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Extra-long straight pins
- Craft knife with new blade
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. To create star-shaped opening in large foam star, shown left, trace 4" foam star in center; cut out carefully. Save cut-out star for later use.
- To create decorative border around opening, use sharp pencil and ruler to carve 1/4"-deep line into foam 1/2" from opening edge; poke hole into foam at each star tip, if desired.
- For a recessed center, shown right, do not remove center star; instead, gently push star halfway down. Glue to secure; pin foam until glue dries. Remove pins.
- Cut 1"-wide paper strips to cover star edges; glue to secure. Trace star front onto back of paper; cut out slightly beyond traced lines. Glue paper to star front; let dry. Use sharp craft knife to carefully trim excess paper at star edges, including center opening. Pin paper edges to secure until glue dries; remove pins. If desired, omit paper step; faux finish foam directly.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply copper finish. (Note: Multiple coats will produce a greener finish.) While final copper coat is still damp, follow manufacturer's instructions to apply one coat patina finish; let dry.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.