Dress up this adorable country snowman figurine and set him into a flower pot base. The secret is that he's concealing an air freshener that will keep your home smelling great throughout the holiday season.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- 1- 3" ball
- 1- 3-1/2" ball
- 1- 4" ball
- 1- Renuzit Adjustable Air Freshener
- 1- 4" Clay Pot, 3 1/2" high
- Acrylic Paint: Ivory, White, and Orange
- 1- 4" Square White or Ivory Felt
- 3- Twigs, 4" Lengths
- 1- 1-1/2" x 26" Piece Plaid Wool Fabric
- 1- pr. Adult Sized Socks
- Small Amount Polyester Fiberfill
- Beige Embroidery Floss
- Buttons: 2- 1/2" Blue; 7- 5/8" Assorted Colors
- Natural Raffia
- 5- Whole Cloves
- Metal spoon
- Sea sponge
- Masking Tape
- Sewing machine and thread
- Craft snip
- Craft knife
- Paint brush
- Serrated Knife
- Low-temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- SNOWMAN: Slice 2" diameter circle from top of 4" ball of STYROFOAM with serrated knife and discard. Carve out inside of opposite side of ball with metal spoon to fit air freshener, going all the way through to cut edge. Place ball over Renuzit with flat cut edge flush with top of topper. Cut 1 1/2" diameter slice from top and bottom of 3 1/2" ball. Glue on top of first ball. Cut 1 1/2" diameter slice from bottom of 3" ball; glue on top. Dip damp sea sponge into Ivory paint, blot excess off onto paper plate. Sponge paint entire snowman with Ivory. With White paint, lightly sponge snowman and clay pot. Let dry. Trace bottom of pot onto felt, trim if needed and glue to pot.
- ARMS & NOSE: Use craft snip to cut two 4" long twigs for arms, and one 1 1/2" long twig for nose. Position and glue arms to sides of body. Use craft knife to shave a pointed end on nose twig. Paint nose Orange and let dry.
- MITTENS: Trace two mitten patterns onto paper and cut out pattern. Turn sock inside out. Use masking tape rolled into loop, sticky side out, to attach mitten pattern to sock, aligning side of mitten on fold and top of pattern with ribbed end of sock. Using matching thread, hand or machine stitch around pattern. Remove pattern and cut close to stitching lines. Turn right side out. Stuff lightly with small amount of fiberfill and glue to ends of twig arms.
- HAT: With second sock, cut 7" in from ribbed end of sock to use. Hand gather cut edge. Wrap 10" length of embroidery floss around gathers and knot. Place thread ends through holes of one 5/8" button; tie into bow and trim ends. Place hat on head, folding up edge to form cuff. Tuck small amount of fiberfill in hat.
- SCARF: Cut 1" x 20" strip from wool fabric. Fray short edges for scarf fringe. Tie scarf around neck with knot to left side.
- FEATURES: Press nose into center of face. Press five cloves into ball to form mouth. For eyes, thread embroidery floss through buttonholes forming an "X." Knot threads behind button. Glue eyes 1/4" above the end cloves of mouth.
- EMBELLLISHMENTS: Tie a bow using several strands of raffia and glue to pot. Glue button to center of bow. Glue remaining buttons down center front of snowman. Cut one heart and three assorted 1" square patches from wool fabric; fray edges. Glue heart to snowman's chest and patches randomly to front of pot.
- GEL REPLACEMENT: When the original gel is depleted, simply replace with a new air freshener. For future projects: if your project base is decorated, remove dried gel. From a new container, remove new, non-toxic gel, then slip it over the post of the decorated base and reposition the decorated topper.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.