By: Not Just a Housewife
Make your own chandelier or pendant lights with this DIY chandelier project! It's easy and thrifty to upcycle an old chandelier into a beautiful new light fixture.
- Old chandelier
- Krylon Spray Paint
- Assorted beads, pearls, and crystals
- In the classifieds online I found an old brass light fixture. I was not in love with the brass but the shape was perfect!
- I took it outside and hung it from a tree so I could paint it. I sprayed several thin coats. If you try to do thick coats of paint it will run and you will have drips everywhere.
- Since it was pretty cold I brought it in and hung it inside to dry. I then started on the beads/jewels. I bought a ton of options knowing I probably wouldn't use them all. But since I didn't have a certain design in mind I wanted to make sure I had plenty to choose from. I ended up only using the mardi gras necklaces and one pack of the tear drop shaped beads.
- Here is how I wired the beads that hang from the center of the chandelier.
- I made a round part for the last pearl on the string to fit through. Then the twisted part got wrapped around the string just above the last pearl. I cut off any extra wire.
- Then I cut a wire that was long enough to go around the center of light. I attached these jewels to that wire and wrapped it around the center of the light.
- Some of the necklaces were cut into 6 equal strips. I used wire the attach the first pearl to the bottom of the "arm" and then I wired the last pearl to the top of the "arm".
- I wired 2 necklaces together so it would be long enough to drape . They got draped across the skinny part of the arms. Each time the arm and the necklace touched I used wire to hold it in place.
- Once everything was wired into place I took it outside again to spray paint. I wanted it to be all white. I forgot to take a picture of it before I painted the jewels. It looked alright except you could see the wire. Now it blends right in!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!