Bring a seasonal warmth into your home with this over-the-door swag crafted from fabric and STYROFOAM brand foam.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Sheet, 12" x 36" x 1"
- Egg, 5-7/8" x 3-7/8"
- Balls, (22) 3"
- Acrylic spray paint, green
- Twisted paper cord, 10" wide x 13 yds., green
- Fabric: 1 yd. red; 5/8 yd. gold
- Cinnamon sticks, (22) 1" lengths
- Toothpicks, 22
- Wooden floral pics, 2
- Thread, gold
- Sawtooth picture hanger
- Cinnamon oil (optional)
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Felt tip marker
- Rotary cutter (optional)
- Straight pins
- Thick, white craft glue or low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, draw outline for base on foam sheet. Wax knife blade with an old candle and cut out base. Paint green; let dry. Center picture hanger on back, 10" from the bottom; glue and nail in place.
2. From gold fabric cut four 3/4" strips selvage-to-selvage and 54 3" circles. Wrap fabric strips around egg, gluing ends. With point of scissors, make two holes in back of pineapple, 2" from bottom and 2-1/2" from the top. Insert and glue floral pics in holes, leaving 3/4" exposed. Make a 1/4" wide hole in small end of pineapple.
3. To make yo-yos, turn under 1/8" on edge of each circle; sew running stitch around edge and gather tightly; knot and cut thread. Glue yo-yos to egg, but do not cover the holes.
4. Cut one 4" and one 6" lengths of paper cord; open cord and fold in sixths. Using Pineapple Leaf patterns, cut out six large and six small leaves; do not cut apart leaves at bottom. Roll together strip of 6" leaves; roll 4" leaves around 6" leaves. Roll stems tightly and glue in hole in top of pineapple.
5. Apply glue to pics; insert pineapple in base, centered 1" above bottom edge.
6. Cut ten 6" lengths of paper cord. Open each length and fold in thirds. Using pattern, cut out leaves. Arrange 26 leaves along curved edge of base; glue leaves to back of base. Glue two leaves under pineapple. Discard remaining two leaves.
7. Flatten tops and bottoms of foam balls by pressing against a tabletop. Cut 44, 3/4" strips of red fabric, cutting selvage to selvage. Wrap two fabric strips around each ball, gluing ends.
8. With scissors, carefully poke a hole in top of each apple; add glue and insert a 1" cinnamon stick. Poke hole in bottom of apples; insert and glue toothpick, leaving 3/4" exposed. Glue apples to base, referring to photo for placement. Add dab of cinnamon oil to stem (optional).
9. Fill in open areas with fringed greens. Cut 100 3-3/4" lengths of paper. Open each length, fold in half, and cut fringe at 1/8" - 1/4" intervals to within 1/2" to 3/4" of fold. Roll strip; glue folded end to base.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.