Lightweight, decorative finials look like stone or heavy-duty cast plaster, but they're made with assorted shapes STYROFOAM™ brand foam. The stone finish and brushed metallic paints finish the faux look.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: 5"; 1-1/2"; four 1"
- Block, 12" x 6" x 1"
- Cones: 12" x 4"; 6" x 3"
- Cube, 5"
- Disc, 6" x 1"
- Eggs: 5"; 4"
- Brushed-metallic satin-finish spray paint: platinum
- Stone-texture spray paints: light tan; light brown
- Pre-mixed lightweight acrylic spackling
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Firm paintbrush, 1"
- Putty knife, 1"
- Disposable bowl
- Measuring cup and spoon
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut foam block in half, creating two 6" squares. Cut remaining foam shapes as indicated below; use glue gun to assemble pieces and let dry completely before and after painting. Refer to photo throughout.
- Cut equal corners, about 1-1/4"-deep, from 5" foam cube to create octagon-shaped piece; glue to 6" foam square base. Glue 1" foam balls to base corners.
- Cut four sides from tip of 12" foam cone to create 1"-tall pyramid shape; smooth side with fingertips.
- Cut 1-1/2"-thick horizontal slice from center of 5" foam egg; glue to top of octagon. Twist cone base firmly against top of egg slice; glue to secure.
- For shorter finial, cut 5" foam ball in half; reserve one half for future use. Cut narrow slice from rounded top of half-ball. Glue half-ball to foam disc base.
- Cut 1-1/2"-thick horizontal slice from bottom of 6" foam cone. Firmly twist bottom of this piece against top of half-ball until snug; glue to secure.
- Cut narrow slices from tip and base of 4" foam egg. Center and glue top portion of 6" cone to narrow end of egg; they will not fit precisely. Make four straight, slightly diagonal cuts down sides of cone/egg to form pyramid shape with rounded bottom; tip of cone should be about 5/8" square. Glue pyramid shape to previously assembled pieces as shown.
- Glue 1-1/2" foam ball to tip of cone.
- For each finial, mix 1 c. spackle with 1 T. water in small bowl until smooth and easy to spread.
- Using firm paintbrush, spread thin, even coat of spackle onto surface of each finial, covering top and sides only.
- Use putty knife to smooth surface of spackle. Dip paintbrush in clean water to lightly smooth edges where excess spackle tends to accumulate. Let dry completely.
- When dry, sand any imperfections. If needed, apply second light coat of spackle; let dry.
- Spray paint finials with desired metallic- or stone-finish paint. Let dry completely.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.