Here's a fast no-sew project when you need a dressy purse (it's all taped together with the super-strong Treasure Tape). This little design can hold your keys, money and drivers' license as an envelope-style purse.
- Fabric scraps in 2 coordinating colors (we used shades of pale green)
- Lining fabric (black)
- 2 8x10 Treasure Tape sheets
- 1/4" Treasure Tape
- Diamond Beadlets
- Green Vintage Finds, Treasure It
- Kreinik #12 Braid 087C Meadowgrass
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon 102C Vatican Gold Cord
- Peel the white back off one of your 8" x 10" tape sheets. Apply strips of your fabrics to the tape, in vertical rows. For a shirred look, make folds in the fabric as you tack them down. Overlap by 1/4" between strips. When your entire piece of tape is covered, trim any stray threads at the edges.
- Fold your taped fabric into four sections: 3", 3", 1", and 3". Crease the tape and fabric at the folds between these sections. These sections will be your flap, back, bottom, and front. Cut out two 6.5" x 2.75" cardstock inserts. These will give your bag some form and stability. Unfold your tape and peel back the red liner from the "front" section. Center your first piece of cardstock along the fold on that section. Peel more of the tape back and center your second piece of cardstock along the fold between the back and bottom sections.
- Cut a 7" x 9" piece of your lining fabric. Center the lining on the inside of your tape, over the cardstock inserts. Press with your fingers to smooth out any air bubbles. Cut diagonally across the corners of your outside fabric and fold each side over the edges of the liner. If your top and bottom edges are rough, you can cover them with strips of tape and embellish with ribbon.
- Begin to embellish. Add a few stripes of 1/4" tape to the outside fabric. Using your braid and ribbon, embellish the tape. We used simple stripes and wavy lines of braid. Finally, cut a wiggley shape out of your second sheet of tape. Peel back the white liner and place it on the corner of your "flap" section (the top left corner of the outside.) Arrange your Vintage Finds on the tape, and embellish with your Meadowgrass Braid.
- When finished embellishing, place your design in a shallow tray or ziplock bag and pour Diamond Beadlets over the exposed tape areas. Swirl with your fingers to cover fully and tap to remove excess beadlets.
- You are almost done! Just add two strips of 1/4" tape to the inside edges of your "front" section. Remove the red liner and fold your front section up to form your bag. Use an iron to set the bond.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.