Give your hair some flair! Use this free crochet pattern to make this ponytail hair accessory. You can make it in any color you like; so choose your favorite color today!
- Coats & Clark’s Speed Cro-Sheen 1 ball, or equivalent yarn for gauge and hook.
- Hook size 3.25 (3-1/4”)
- Piece of 3” x 3” sturdy cardboard
- Dowel stick 5” or 6” long or chop sticks or whatever suites your fancy.
GAUGE: 6 sc = 1“
ABBREVIATIONS: SC = single crochet
CH = chain
LP = loop
YO = yarn over
SL ST = slip stitch
ST = stitch
SK = skip
HDC=half double crochet (double knot stitch)
- You are starting at the top of wrap. Chain 23.
- Row 1: Sc in 8th ch from hook (this forms the loop for inserting the stick), sc in next 12 ch, ch 4, sk next 2 ch, sl st in last ch (2nd loop for stick). Turn.
- Row 2: *Draw up lp on hook to ¼”, yo hook and hook through lp, insert hook under single strand at back of lp and work sc (this makes a single knot stitch), repeat from * once; this makes a double knot stitch. Sc in first sc after the loop for stick. Make double knot st in same sc, sk 2 sc, sc in next sc. Do this 4 times, with the exception that the last sc you join in the loop, which gives you 5 double knot stitches. Then make double knot st in loop and a sc. You should have 6 double knot stitches. Turn.
- Row 3: Sc in sc at center of next double knot stitch (make a single knot st, sc in sc at center of next double knot st) do this 5 times. 12 sc(s). Ch 1, turn.
- Row 4: *Sc in first sc, (double knot stitch in next st); sc in next sc*) repeat4 times, which gives you 5 double knot stitches ending with a sc in last st; you 16 sc(s). Chain 1, turn.
- Row 5: Sc in first sc, (double knot st in next st; sc in next st. Repeat to the end finishing with a sc, which gives you 6 double knot sts; 22 stitches to work with. Ch 1; turn.
- Row 6: Bring up lp, sc in center of first double knot st, (single knot st, sc in center sc of next double knot st) 6 times which gives you 6 single knot sts. Sl st in last st. Ch 1. Turn.
- Row 7: Sc in middle of single knot stitch. Double knot st, sc in next sc between single knot sts, do this 5 times. Sl st in last st. Ch 1; turn.
- Row 8: Pull up lp on hook, sc in sc at center of first double knot st, (single knot st, sc in center of sc of next double knot st) 4 times which gives you 4 single knot sts. Turn.
- Row 9: Double knot st, sc in next sc between single knot sts, do this 4 times. Turn.
- Row 10: Work as for row 8 which gives you 3 single knot sts. Turn.
- Row 11: Work as for row 9 which gives you 3 double knot sts. Turn.
- Row 12: Work as for row 8 which gives you 2 single knot sts. End off.
- FINISHING: Wind yarn 38 times around 3” cardboard. Cut through strands at one edge. Holding 2 strands together, knot through edge3 to make fringe around bottom of piece, beginning and ending halfway down from top edge.
- Sharpen dowel stick at one end or both ends and sandpaper smooth.
- Stain and varnish if desired.