Hand Puppet Scarf
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet a colorful scarf that also entertains with fun hand puppets at each end. This scarf crochet pattern is a great crochet pattern for kids.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 Skein each 929 Bikini A, 722 Pretty n’ Pink B, 256 Carrot C. RED HEART® “Sport”: 1 Skein each 1 White and 12 Black for eyes
- Crochet Hooks: 5.5mm [US I-9] and 3.75mm [US F-5].
- stitch marker
- yarn needle
Size: 4¾” x 62” including puppets
Gauge: Scarf: 14 sts = 4”; 9 rows = 4” in hdc with larger hook. Puppets: 4 sts = 1”; 5 rows = 1” in sc with larger hook.
NOTE: Scarf has tapered ends designed to fit inside of the puppet neck.
With larger hook and A, ch 9.
Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 8 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each sc to last sc; 2 sc in last sc; turn – 10 sc.
Rows 4 and 5: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 – 12 sc.
Row 6: Ch 2, 2 hdc in first sc, hdc in each sc to last sc; 2 hdc in last sc; turn – 14 hdc.
Row 7: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc across; turn.
Repeat Row 7 until 46” from beginning.
Next Row: Ch 2, skip first hdc, hdc in next 11 hdc; [yo and draw up a loop in next hdc] twice, yo and draw through all 5 loops on hook – hdc2tog made; turn – 12 hdc.
Next Row: Ch 1, skip first hdc, sc in next 9 hdc; [draw up a loop in next hdc] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook – sc2tog made; turn – 10 sc.
Next Row: Ch 1, sc in each sc across.
Next Row: Ch 1, skip first sc, sc in each sc to last 2 sc; sc2tog – 8 sc. Fasten off.
Edging Rnd: With right side facing and larger hook, join C in any st; ch 1, work sc evenly around entire scarf. Fasten off.
** Neck and Upper Head/Jaw: With larger hook and B, ch 24; join with a slip st in first ch to form a ring, being careful that ch is not twisted.
Rnd 1: Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in next 23 ch; join with a slip st in top of ch-2 – 24 sts.
Rnds 2-6: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc around; join.
Head Shaping-Rnd 7: Turn to work on the wrong side; ch 1, sc in first 12 hdc, ch 12, skip next 12 hdc; join with a slip st in first sc to form ring on which to crochet upper head/jaw. Now work in continuous rnds without joining, marking first st as beginning of rnd and moving marker up on each rnd.
Rnd 8: 2 Sc in first sc, sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc, [2 sc in next ch, sc in next 5 ch] twice – 28 sc.
Rnd 9: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc] 4 times – 32 sc.
Rnd 10: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 7 sc] 4 times – 36 sc.
Rnds 11-14: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 15: * [Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 14 sc; repeat from * once more – 32 sc.
Rnd 16: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 17: * [Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 12 sts; repeat from * once more – 28 sc.
Rnd 18: * [Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 10 sc; repeat from * once more – 24 sc.
Rnd 19: [Sc2tog, sc in next 10 sc] twice – 22 sc.
Rnd 20: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 21: [Sc2tog, sc in next 9 sc] twice – 20 sc.
Rnds 22-24: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 25: [Sc2tog, sc in next 8 sc] twice – 18 sc.
Rnd 26: * [Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 5 sc; repeat from * once more –14 sc.
Shape Nose-Rnd 27: * [Sc2tog] twice, sc in next 3 sc; repeat from * once more changing to C in last sc – 10 sc.
Rnd 28: With C, [sc2tog, sc in next 3 sc] twice – 8 sc.
Rnd 29: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] twice – 10 sc.
Rnd 30: [Sc2tog, sc in next 3 sc] twice – 8 sc. Cut yarn leaving a long tail. Weave yarn through remaining sts to close nose end. Bring needle through nose to point where nose rnds begin and wrap the yarn tightly around the base of the nose several times, fasten securely. Weave in end. This gives the nose definition and prevents the need for stuffing.
NOTE: When working the lower jaw, the “mouth corner” can be found by laying puppet with slit opening facing upwards. Attach yarn to the rightmost stitch and proceed working in continuous rnds as directed.
Lower Jaw-Rnd 31: With wrong side facing and larger hook, join B in first ch of mouth corner to work in 12 remaining ch-loops of Rnd 7 and 12 remaining hdc of Rnd 6, place marker; sc in each st around – 24 sc.
Rnds 32 and 33: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 34: [Sc2tog, sc in next 10 sc] twice – 22 sc.
Rnds 35-37: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 38: [Sc2tog, sc in next 9 sc] twice – 20 sc.
Rnd 39: [Sc2tog, sc in next 8 sc] twice – 18 sc.
Rnd 40: [Sc2tog, sc in next 7 sc] twice – 16 sc.
Rnds 41-42: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 43: [Sc2tog, sc in next 6 sc] twice – 14 sc.
Rnd 44: [Sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc] twice – 12 sc.
Rnd 45: [Sc2tog, sc in next 4 sc] twice – 10 sc.
Rnd 46: [Sc2tog] 5 times – 5 sc. Fasten off. Weave yarn through remaining sts; draw up firmly; fasten securely.
Ears (Make 2)-Rnd 1: With larger hook and B, ch 2; working over beginning yarn end work 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook; pull yarn end to close any gap at center.
Rnd 2: [2 Sc in next sc] 5 times – 10 sc.
Rnd 3: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc] twice – 12 sc.
Rnd 4: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc] twice – 14 sc.
Rnd 5: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 6: [Sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc] twice – 12 sc.
Rnd 7: [Sc2tog, sc in next 4 sc] twice – 10 sc. Fasten off leaving a 10” tail. Sew ears in place. **
Repeat from ** to ** with C for second puppet, using B for nose.
Eyes (Make 4)-Rnd 1: With smaller hook and white yarn, ch 2; working over beginning yarn end work 4 sc in 2nd ch from hook; pull yarn end to close any gap at center.
Rnd 2: [2 sc in next sc] 4 times – 8 sc.
Rnd 3: [2 Sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] twice – 10 sc.
Rnd 4: Sc in each sc around – 10 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc2tog, sc in next 3 sc] twice; slip st in next sc – 8 sc. Fasten off leaving a 10” tail.
Embroider a French knot pupil with black yarn. Sew eyes in place.
Puppet Edging-Rnd 1: With right side facing and larger hook, join A in any st at cuff opening; ch 1, sc in each st around; join with a slip st in first sc – 24 sc.
Rnd 2: [Ch 3, slip st in next sc] 23 times, ch 3, slip st in first slip st. Fasten off.
Finishing: Lay the scarf flat; place a puppet at either end of the scarf with the opening towards the tapered scarf end and the nose facing away. Insert tapered end of scarf into the puppet opening about 2”; pin scarf to the upper part of the puppet only, (in the “wrist” area if this were a mitten). Sew the top layer of puppet securely with matching yarn to the tapered scarf ends, being careful not to sew the opening closed.
Note: For other fantastic and quirky crochet patterns, be sure to check out our collection of 10 Unusual, Unforgettable, and Unique Crochet Patterns!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques