Children's Retro Sweater
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet this children's retro sweater with adorable crocheted buttons to add some color to your child's wardrobe. Use this free, easy crochet pattern to make a warm and stylish gift for a special little girl.
- One size US K-10.5 (6.5 mm) crochet hook or size to obtain gauge
- One each size I-9 and J-10 (5.5 and 6 mm) crochet hook for Collar
- One size US 7 (4.5 mm) crochet hook for buttons
- Caron International's Bliss (60% acrylic, 40% nylon; 1.76 oz/50 g, 82 yds/75 m ball): #0002 Cotton Candy (MC), 6 (7, 8, 9) balls
- Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein): #9727 Black (A), few yards for crocheted buttons
- Caron International's Simply Soft Brites (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein): #9606 Lemonade, #9607 Limelight and #9608 Blue Mint (button colors), few yards each for crocheted buttons
- Split-ring stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Small amount of polyester fiberfill (for buttons)
In single crochet, 12 sts and 12 rows = 4"/10 cm, using largest (K-10.5) hook
In Stitch pattern, sc, ch 1, sc = 1"/2.5 cm
Double crochet (dc)
Single crochet (sc)
Stitch Pattern (multiple of 2 sts + 1 st)
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first sc, * ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * across, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first sc, sc in first ch-1 space, * ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * across, end sc in last sc, turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first sc, * ch 1, skip next st, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * across, end sc in last sc, turn.
- Repeat Rows 3 and 4 for Stitch pattern.
- Using largest hook and MC, chain 36 (40, 44, 48).
- Row 1: Begin Stitch pattern—35 (39, 43, 47) sc after Row 1.
- Row 2:—18 (20, 22, 24) sc, 17 (19, 21, 23) ch-1 spaces after Row 2.
- Row 3:—19 (21, 23, 25) sc, 16 (18, 20, 22) ch-1 spaces after Row 3.
- Continuing in Stitch pattern, work even until piece measures 11 1/2 (14, 15, 15 1/2)" from beginning.
- Fasten off.
Work as for Back until piece measures 10 (12, 13, 13)" from beginning.
- Continuing in pattern, beginning at armhole edge, work across 12 (14, 15, 17) sts, turn.
- At neck edge, slip st across 2 sts, work in pattern to end, turn—10 (12, 13, 17) sts remain for shoulder.
- Work even for 5 (6, 6, 7) rows.
- Fasten off.
- Join yarn at opposite armhole edge; work as for first side.
- Using largest hook and MC, chain 18 (20, 22, 24).
- Row 1: Begin Stitch pattern—17 (19, 21, 23) sc after row 1.
- Continuing in Stitch pattern, work even for 3 rows.
- Shape Sleeve
- Row 5: Ch 1, inc 1 (work 2 sc in first st), work across to last st, inc 1, turn, (3 sc at each end instead of 2 sc).
- Row 6: Work even in pattern
- Work Rows 5 and 6 a total of 8 (8, 9, 10) times—33 (35, 39, 43) sts.
- Work even in pattern until piece measures 10 (12, 14, 15)" or desired length, allowing for cuff to be turned up 1
1/2" – 2".
- Fasten off.
Sew shoulder seams. Measure down each side, Front and Back, 5 1/2 (6, 6 1/2, 7)"; place a marker for underarm. Sew Sleeves between markers. Sew Sleeve and side seams.
Note: For looser, floppier Collar, work last 1 1/2" of Collar with largest hook instead of medium hook.
- Round 1: With RS facing, using size I-9 (5.5mm) hook and MC, beginning at left shoulder seam, work 26 (28, 30, 32) sc evenly around Front neck shaping, and 20 (20, 22, 22) sc across Back neck; join with a slip st to first sc—46 (48, 52, 54) sc; place a marker for beginning of round and move up each round.
- Round 2: Sc in each sc around, join.
- Repeat Round 2 until Collar measures 3 1/2" from beginning.
- Change to J-10 (6mm) hook; work even in sc until Collar measures 5" from beginning.
- Fasten off.
- Crochet 10 each using colors shown or colors of choice.
- Using smallest hook (7-4.5mm), beginning at center, chain 4.
- Round 1: Work 9 dc in fourth chain from hook, join with a slip st to top of beginning ch.
- Round 2: [Draw up a loop in each of next 3 dc, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook]) 3 times, join.
- Fasten off, leaving a 5" tail.
- Using A, make a French knot at center of each button.
- Stuff buttons with a small amount of fiberfill.
- Using yarn needle and 5" tail, gather open end and pull tightly to close.
- Fasten off securely, but do NOT cut tail.
- Turn Collar to RS; using yarn needle and remaining tail, sew buttons randomly around Collar (see photo), working yarn ends into the buttons after sewing them in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Resting Dragon Coloring Page
- Dragon Fire Coloring Page
- You Are Loved Coloring Page
- Dream It Coloring Page
- Hello Lovely Doodles Coloring Page
- Hello Lovely Unicorn Coloring Page
- Color My Heart Happy Coloring Page
- With Kindness Coloring Page
- Follow Your Heart Coloring Page
- Power of Love Coloring Page