Children's Crochet Capelet and Purse
Now there's an easy crochet pattern for a child's version of the ever-stylish capelet. Along with the matching crochet purse, this project makes a great homemade gift for the little girl in your life.
- Crochet hook size K/10 1/2 (6.5mm)
- 1 heart shaped button 1" wide for Capelet
- Tapestry needle (tn)
- stitch marker for purse
- Caron International’s Glimmer (85% acrylic,15% Polyester chenille; 1.75 oz/50 g, 55yds/50m): 3 (4, 5) skeins #0004 Carnation for Capelet; 2 skeins for Purse
S (M, L) To fit: Child's size 2 (4-6, 8)
Neck: Approximately 10 (12, 14)" in circumference
Approximately 9" in diameter by 7" tall, excluding strap
Using size K/10.5 (6.5mm) hook, in St patt: 10 sts and 6 rows = 4"/10cm
Chain (ch), Double crochet (dc), Single crochet (sc), Slip stitch (sl st)
STITCH PATTERN (Capelet)
- Ch number of sts indicated for your size.
- Foundation Row: Beg in second ch from hook, sc in each ch across, turn.
- Row 1 (WS): Ch 2 (counts as dc), working into front loop only, dc across, inc as indicated, end dc in turning ch, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, skip 1 dc, working into back loop only, sc across, end sc in turning ch, turn.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for St patt.
Ch 3, skip first st, * sc in next st, ch 3, skip next st; rep from * across, end sc in turning ch.
- Beg at neck edge, ch 26 (30, 34) sts. (RS) Work Foundation Row—25 (29, 33) sc. Beg St patt as follows:
- Row 1: Ch 2, skip first sc, work 2 dc in next sc (inc), dc in next sc; rep from * across, end dc in turning ch—37 (43, 49) sts, turn.
- Row 2 and all RS rows: Work even in St patt.
- Row 3: Ch 2, skip first sc, * inc, dc in next 2 sc; rep from * across, end last rep dc in turning ch—49 (57, 65) sts, turn.
- Row 5: Ch 2, skip first sc, dc in next 1 (1, 2) sc, * inc, dc in next 2 sc, inc; rep from * across, end last rep dc in turning ch—65 (75, 85) sts, turn.
- Row 7: Ch 2, skip first sc, dc in next 0 (0, 1) sc, * inc, dc in next 2 sc, inc; rep from * across, end last rep inc (dc, dc) in turning ch—77 (81, 113) sts, turn.
- Row 8: Repeat Row 2.
Note: Capelet meas approx 5 1/2"; Edging will add 1/2". Each repeat of Rows 7 and 8 will add approx 1 1/4" to length; repeat Rows 7 and 8 for longer length, if desired, inc evenly around on each Row 7.
- Work Edging along lower edge of Capelet; fasten off.
Block piece if necessary, following instructions on ball band. Sew button to upper left Front opposite first dc row; use first dc as buttonhole. Weave in ends. +
- Ch 4, join with a sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- Foundation Row: Ch 1 (counts as sc), work 7 sc in ring, join with a sl st in first sc—8 sc.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1 (counts as sc), work sc in same sc as sl st, work 2 sc in each sc around, join with sl st in first sc—16 sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1 (counts as sc), work sc in same sc as sl st, * sc in next sc, work 2 sc in next sc (inc); rep from * around, join—24 sts.
- Rnd 3: Work as Rnd 2, working 2 sc between each inc—32 sts. Rnd 4: Work as Rnd 2, working 3 sc between each inc—40 sts.
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, work even in sc around, join.
- Rnd 6: Ch 2, work even in dc around, join.
- Rnds 7 and 8: Repeat Rnd 5.
- Rnds 9 and 10: Ch 2, work in dc, inc 4 sts evenly each rnd—48 sts after Rnd 10.
- Rnd 11: Repeat Rnd 6.
- Rnd 12 – Eyelet Rnd: Ch 3 (counts as dc, ch 1), skip next dc, * dc in next dc, ch 1; rep from * around, join—24 eyelets. Rnd 13: Repeat Rnd 5.
- Ruffle: Ch 2 (counts as dc), work 2 dc in same sc as join, * skip 1 sc, work 3 dc in next sc; rep from * around, join.
- Work Edging along upper edge of Ruffle.
- Block piece if necessary, following instructions on ball band.
- Strap: Work a chain 18" long or length desired; sew one end to upper edge of eyelet row; fold bag in half, sew other end of strap to opposite side (see schematic).
- Tie: Work a chain 34" long or length desired; weave through Eyelets. Pull to close top of bag; tie in a bow, (see photo). Weave in ends.
Washing Instructions ~ Hand Washing And Drying: Turn inside out and wash gently in warm water using a mild detergent. Gently rinse well in cold water. Lay flat on a towel and roll in towel to remove excess water. DO NOT WRING, STRETCH OR HANG TO DRY.
Handling Instructions: When using the yarn be sure to tie a knot at the beginning of each skein and at both yarn ends when joining. A small amount of shedding can be expected when using this yarn under normal conditions.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts