Simple Striped Santa Stockings
By: Ellen Gormley for Red Heart Yarn
This set of simple striped Santa stockings from Red Heart Yarn will make decorating your mantel for Christmas a breeze! This is the perfect project for someone just learning to crochet...so make new stockings for the whole family!
Find more festive holiday patterns in Red Heart's special eBook, Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects.
- Red Heart® Super Saver® (Art. E300) solid color 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); multi color and print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m), flecks 5 oz (141g), 260 yd (238 m) skeins: 1 skein each of Main Color MC and Contrast Color CC. Colors Used: 319 Cherry Red, 316 Soft White, and 368 Paddy Green
- Crochet hook, 5.5mm [US I-9].
GAUGE: 12 sts = 4”; 15 rows = 4” in sc. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
dec (decrease) = draw up a loop in next 2 sc, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
inc (increase) = 2 sc in a st.
- With MC, ch 31 (43, 47).
- Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 30 (42, 46) sc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Repeat Row 2 and work stripe pattern of 8 rows MC and 2 rows CC until 6 (9, 11½)” from beginning, end wrong side row. Fasten off.
- With right side facing, skip 23 (32, 35) sc; join CC and sc in last 7 (10, 11) sc; bring other side of leg around and sc in first 7 (10, 11) sc; turn – 14 (20, 22) sc.
- Next Row: Ch 1, dec, sc in each sc to last 2 sc; dec; turn – 12 (18, 20) sc.
- Repeat last row to dec 1 st each end of every row until 4 sts remain. Now increase 1 st at each end of every row until there are 14 (20, 22) sc. Fasten off.
- With right side facing, skip first 7 (10, 11) sc of heel, join MC and sc in last 7 (10, 11) sc, [dec over next 2 sc of leg] twice, sc in next 8 (14, 16) sc of leg, [dec over next 2 sc of leg] twice, sc in remaining 7 (10, 11) sc of heel; turn – 26 (38, 42) sc. Work even in sc and stripe pattern until foot measures 3 (5, 6)” from last row of heel, end wrong side row. Cut MC.
- Next Row: With CC, ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- ** Next Row: Ch 1, dec, sc in next 9 (15, 17) sc, dec; turn – 11 (17, 19) sc.
- Dec 1 st each end of every row until 3 sc remain. Fasten off. **
- With wrong side facing, join CC in next sc of last long row. Repeat from ** to **.
- Sew toe, foot, heel, and back seams.
- Top Edging and Hanging Loop: With right side facing, attach CC at back seam.
- Round 1: Ch 1, sc in each st of beginning ch around; join with a slip st to first sc.
- Round 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc around; join; ch 12, slip st in same st as joining; slip st in each ch of ch-12. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts