Tweed Baby Jacket
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Keep your little guy snug and warm in this Tweed Baby Jacket. The easy crochet pattern is free, so buy a couple skeins of yarn and devote an afternoon to this cute jacket and you'll have a great baby gift.
- Caron International's Simply Soft Tweed (98% Acrylic, 2% Rayon; 3 oz/85 g, 159 yds, 145 m) #2601 White, 3 (3, 4) balls
- Crochet hook US H/8 (5 mm), or size to obtain gauge
- Crochet hook US G/6 (4 mm) for edging
- Split-ring stitch markers
- Tapestry needle (tn)
- 6 5/8” Buttons
Small (Medium, Large) To fit: 6-9 (12, 18-24) months
Chest/Bust 23 (25, 27)", buttoned
Length 11 (12, 13)"
In Stitch pattern (sc-tbl), using larger hook, 15 sts = 4"/10 cm
Dec: [Yo, pull up a loop in next st] twice, yo and draw through all loops on hook, (1 st decreased).
Chain (ch) Single crochet through the back loop (sc-tbl)
1. Jacket is worked in one piece to underarms, then Fronts and Back are worked separately to shoulder.
2. Stitch pattern (sc-tbl), looks the same on both sides; place a marker at beg of Row 2 to designate RS.
HELPFUL HINT: Make Pocket first to check gauge; piece should measure 3" wide by 2 1/2" long.
POCKETS (make 2): Using larger hook, chain 12.
Row 1: Beginning in second ch from hook, sc in second ch and in each ch across; turn—11 sc.
Rows 2 – 10: Ch 1, working in back loop only, sc in each st across; turn. Fasten off.
Using larger hook, chain 87 (95, 103).
Row 1: Beginning in second ch from hook, sc in second ch and in each ch across; turn—86 (94, 102) sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, working in back loop only, sc in each st across, turn. Work even, repeating Row 2, until piece measures 5 1/2 (6, 6 1/2)" from the beginning, end with a WS row.
Dividing Row –(RS) Ch 1, sc-tbl across 21 (23, 25) sts; turn.
Next Row: Ch 1, sc-tbl in each st across; turn. Working on 21 (23, 25) sts of right Front only, work even until piece measures 3 1/2 (4, 4 1/2)" from Dividing Row, end with a RS row (at armhole edge).
Shape Neck: (WS) Cont in sc-tbl as est, ch 1, work 13 (14, 15) sts, dec; turn—14 (15, 16) sts remain. At neck edge, dec 1 st every row 4 times more, working armhole edge even—10 (11, 12) sts for shoulder. Work even on remaining sts until piece measures 2" from beginning of neck shaping. Fasten off—armhole measures 5 1/2 (6, 6 1/2)" from dividing row.
(RS) Skip 1 st for underarm, join yarn in next st with a slip st; ch 1, beginning in next st, work in sc-tbl across 40 (44, 48) sts; turn—23 (25, 27) sts remain unworked; 2 for underarm and 21 (23, 25) sts for left Front. Cont in sc-tbl as est, work even until Back measures same as right Front to shoulder. Fasten off.
(RS) Skip 1 st for underarm, join yarn in next st with
a slip st; ch 1, beginning in next st, work in sc-tbl across—21 (23,
25) sts for left Front. Work as for right Front, reversing shaping. Sew
SLEEVES (worked from the top down)
Using larger hook, beginning at underarm, pick up and sc 38 (42, 46) sts evenly around armhole;
do NOT join. Rows 1 - 5: Ch 1, work even in sc-tbl across, turn.
Shape Sleeve: Row 6 (Decrease Row): Ch 1, dec over next 2 sts, work in sc-tbl to last 2 sts, dec over last 2 sts; turn.
Rows 7 – 9: Repeat Row 1. Cont as est in sc-tbl, dec 1 st each side this row, then every 4 rows until sleeve measures 6 (7, 8)", or 1" less than desired length, from the beg.
Shape Cuff: Row 1: Change to smaller hook; work in sc-tbl, dec evenly across to 22 (24, 26) sc. Rows 2 – 4: Repeat Row 1. Fasten off.
Sew underarm and sleeve seams.
Edging: Row 1: With RS facing, using smaller hook, beginning at lower left Front, work 1 row sc around entire edge of jacket as follows:
Work along entire lower edge, dec 1 st approx every 10 sts across; work 3 sc in lower right Front corner, sc evenly along center Front edge, work 3 sc in corner; work around neck shaping, dec 3 sts evenly along Back neck; work 3 sc in corner, sc evenly along left Front, work 3 sc in corner; join with a slip st to first sc. Place markers for 4 buttonholes, evenly spaced on right Front for girls or left Front for boys, first approx 1/2" from lower edge, last 1/2" from beg of neck shaping, rem 2 evenly spaced between.
Row 2 (Buttonhole Row): Work in sc around jacket, working 3 sc in each corner, and AT
SAME TIME, work 4 buttonholes opposite markers as follows: * Sc to 1 st before marker, ch 2, skip 1 st; repeat from * for rem 3 buttonholes, sc to end of round; join with a slip st to first sc. Fasten off.
Pockets: Sew pockets centered on each Front, approx 1" up from lower edge. Sew buttons opposite buttonholes; sew remaining 2 buttons on pockets (see photo).
Weave in all ends.
1. Washing Instructions ~ Hand Washing And Drying: Wash gently in warm water using a mild detergent. Gently rinse well in cold water. Lay flat on a towel and roll in towel to remove excess water.
DO NOT WRING, STRETCH OR HANG TO DRY.
2. Handling Instructions ~ When using the yarn be sure to tie a knot at the beginning of each skein and at both yarn ends when joining. A small amount of shedding can be expected when using this yarn under normal conditions.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie
- 34 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns, Free Tutorials and More
- 27 Cute Free Crochet Patterns for Babies
- Baby Afghan Crochet Pattern
- Santa Hat for Baby
- Adorable Crocheted Baby Dress
- Easy One Ball Baby Blanket and Hat Set
- Baby Ruffle Hat
- Baby's First Blanket
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- Ariel's Beaded Crochet Headband
- Knitted Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Last-Minute T-Shirt Necklace
- Perfectly Pretty Crochet Purse Pattern
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- Premo! Sculpey Clay
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie
- Purrfect Winter Beanie