Scrap Squares Rug
By: Berta Gilholm
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Use your scrap yarn to make this scrap squares rug with Berta Gilholm. Use any color you have available and use this free crochet pattern. Treble crochet and the chunk stitch are used along with other stitches to make this great pattern.
Finished Rug Size 24” x 34”
Square size 101/2” x 101/2”
- (A) claret : 2 skeins of Caron One Pound – acrylic (16 oz. /453.6 gms, 812 yards)
- (B) blues : 2 skeins of Premier Parade – self patterning acrylic (3.5 oz./100 gms, 179 yards)
- (C) black : 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver –acrylic (7 oz./198 gms, 364 yards)
- Crochet Hook size K, yarn needle
Stitches & Abbreviations:
Chain (Ch), Single Crochet (Sc), Slip Stitch (slst), Half Double Crochet (Hdc), Double Crochet (Dc), Treble Crochet (Trc), Chunk Stitch (CS): Work 1 long DC plus 1 Sc in same st or sp as follows: Yo hook once, put hook through next stitch, yo, draw up a loop, yo, pull yarn through first loop, yo, pull yarn through next 3 loops loosely, do a tight Sc in same stitch (chunk stitch created on front side).
Pu (Pick up), Yo (yarn over), Stitch (st)
* Note: Materials in this project were picked from leftover stash materials. (Use any colors you want to make squares; the borders are best using a dark color) Use 2 strands throughout.
Instructions for Squares: Make 6
With (A) make a loop around fingers to form a ring, draw a loop through to form a slip knot
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first Dc now and throughout), 11 Dc in ring, join with a slst. at top of Ch 3. (12 Dc) Fasten off (A), join (B)
Rnd 2: Ch 3, Dc in same st. as joining. 2 Dc in each st. around. Join with slst.to top of beginning Ch 3. ( 24 Dc)
Rnd 3: Ch 3 in same st as joining, 2 Dc in next st. (1 Dc in next st; 2 Dc in next st ) 11 times. Join with a slst at top of Ch 3. ( 36 Dc) Fasten off (B), join (C)
Rnd 4: Ch 1, CS in same st. as joining. CS in each st. around. Join with slst.to top of beginning CS. ( 36 CS)
Rnd 5: Ch 1, Sc in top of CS st, Sc in next CS., 2 Sc in next CS, * (Sc in next 2 CS, 2 Sc in next CS) Repeat from * around. Join with a sl st in first CS (48 Sc) Fasten off (C), join (A)
Rnd 6: Ch 4 ( counts as first Trc ) make 2 Trc in same st, Dc in next st, Hdc in next 9 sts, Dc in next st. * 3 TR in next st ( to form corner ); Dc in next st, Hdc in next 9 sts, Dc in next st. * Repeat between * 2 more times ( for a total of 3 times ). Join with a sl st to top of ch 4
Rnd 7: Slst to center of corner ( group of 3 TR stitches ) Ch 3 (counts as a Dc), then ( 1 Dc, ch 2, 2 Dc) in same st., Dc in next 13 sts, *( 2 Dc , ch 2, 2 Dc ) in next st; Dc in next 13 sts.* Repeat between * 2 more times ( for a total of 3 times ) Join with a slst to top of ch 3.
Rnd 8: Slst to first of the Ch 2 spaces in corner and Ch 3, Dc in same st, Ch 2, 2 Dc in second ch 2 space of corner. Dc in next 16 sts. *2 Dc in first of the Ch 2 spaces, Ch 2, 2 Dc in second ch 2 space, DC in next 16 sts.* Repeat between * 2 more times. Join with a slst to top of ch 3. Fasten off (A), join (C) in corner chain.
Rnd 9: Ch 2, (Hdc, ch 2, 2 Hdc) in same chain 2 space. Sc in next 19 sts. *(2 Hdc, ch 2, 2 Hdc ) in corner chain 2 space, Sc in next 19 sts.* Repeat between * 2 more times. Join with a slst. In first ch 2. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.
Take a yarn needle threaded with black yarn and sew a single line through the bottom of the black CS row and the bottom of the black Sc row (rows 5 & 6) all the way around (this makes the CS stand up for texture). Fasten off, weave in ends.
Sew 3 squares together using black yarn, in a row as in diagram. Repeat for 2nd 3 square set. Then proceed with Border.
Outside and Inside Border Rows:
(Use double strand and repeat for both 3 square sets)
Join (C) in corner st, on 1 of the 3 square sets, “see star”
Rnd 1: Ch 3, Dc in same st, Ch 1, 2 Dc in second ch 2 space of corner. Dc in each st of long side of squares across and add 3 dc in each joining between squares for 49 dc across. *(2 Dc, Ch 1, 2 Dc in ch 2 space of corner), Dc in each st across end of square(22 dc). Repeat *, Dc in each st of long side of squares across and add 3 dc in each joining between squares for 49 dc across, Repeat *, Dc in each st across end of square (22), Join with a slst to top of ch 3.
Rnd 2 and 3: Repeat round 1. Fasten off, weave in ends.
Use a double strand of (C) and yarn needle, sew the 2 sections of 3 squares together down the center as in following diagram. Weave in ends, trim. I glued a Rubber Coating on the back for traction or buy rubber dots from a craft store and place them intermittently across back, they will serve the same purpose.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- The Thinker Dragon Coloring Page
- 18 Sewing Videos to Master Every Knot and Stitch
- Abstract Coloring Pages for Kids
- Spring Buggies Coloring Pages
- Elegant Rose Zentangle Coloring Page
- Zebra Zentangle Coloring Page
- Butterfly Zentangle Coloring Page
- Lion Zentangle Coloring Page
- Giraffe Zentangle Coloring Page
- Ladybug Zentangle Coloring Page