Try this free, easy crochet pattern for a beginner's project that's both practical and stylish. Crochet this scarf with fringe and you'll stay warm this winter.
- Crochet hooks size US J/10 (6 mm) and K/10.5 (6.5 mm), or size to obtain gauge
- Caron International's Fabulous (100% polyester, 165 yds/152 m; 1.75 oz/50 g ball): 3 balls in # 0015 Mother Earth
Using size US J/10 (6 mm) hook, in hdc: 10 sts and 12 rows = 4"/10 cm
Note: Gauge is not critical for this project
Half double crochet (hdc)
Due to the texture of the yarn, it may be difficult to see your sts; if this occurs, give your piece a gentle stretch length wise, then widthwise and the sts will be easier to see.
- Using larger hook (K/10.5 mm), ch 102. Change to smaller hook.
- Beginning in second ch from hook, hdc in each ch across, turn—100 sts.
- Row 1: Ch 2, hdc in each ch across.
- Repeat Row 1 until piece measures 6" from the beginning, or desired width.
- Fasten off.
- Gently stretch piece in both direction to even out sts.
- Fringe: For ends, cut strands 14"; for lower edge cut strands 7" long, from remaining yarn. Holding 3 strands together, fold fringe in half. With WS facing, using smaller crochet hook, * insert hook from WS to RS into first st, pull through a loop [the fold of the strands], insert ends into loop and pull tight against edge; repeat from *, attaching shorter pieces into every stitch along entire lower edge, and longer pieces into every row along both ends. Trim Fringe to 3" along lower edge and 6" along both ends, or desired length.
- Weave in ends.