Cute Bowtie Neckwarmer
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This is such a cute pattern you will love wearing around. Who says bowties are just for men? This is an intermediate crochet pattern that uses a double-ended crochet hook.
- RED HEART® “Soft Yarn®: 1 ball each 9440 Lt Grey
- Heather A, 9520 Seafoam B.
- Crochet Hooks: 6.5mm [US K-10½] – 10” double-ended crochet hook; 6.5 mm [US K-10½] standard hook (used for edging only).
- Two stitch holders (at least 4” length), tapestry needle.
- GAUGE: 19 sts = 4”; 24 rows = 4” in double hook pattern.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
The ends and center sections of the scarf are worked in the double-ended hook technique. The pick-up action and work-off action are listed as two separate rows.
The Keyhole sections are worked in Tunisian Crochet where the pick-up and work-off actions comprise one row. A row is complete when you have one stitch remaining on the hook.
When working in horizontal stitches, insert hook under top loop only.
Horiz = horizontal
Vert = vertical
TKS = Tunisian Knit Stitch – Insert hook from front to back between vertical strands of same st, yo and draw through keeping loop on hook.
With A, ch 3.
Row 1: Working in bump on wrong side of ch, pick up loop in 2nd ch from hook and remaining ch; slide loops to opposite end of hook and turn – 3 loops on hook.
Row 2: Place slip knot of B on left end of hook; draw slip knot through first loop, [yo, draw through 2 loops] twice; 1 loop of B remains. DO NOT TURN.
Row 3: Pick up loop in first horiz st, pick up loop under next vert bar, pick up loop in next horiz st, pick up loop under final vert bar; slide loops to opposite end of hook and turn – 5 loops.
Row 4: Pick up A, yo, draw through 1 loop; * yo, draw through 2 loops; repeat from * across until 1 loop of A remains. DO NOT TURN.
Row 5: Pick up loop in first horiz st, pick up loop under next vert bar, pick up loop in each horiz st until 2 vert bars remain, pick up loop under next vert bar, pick up loop under final horiz st, skip final vert bar; slide loops to opposite end of hook and turn – 7 loops.
Rows 6-19: Repeat Rows 4-5, alternating two rows of A and two rows of B – 21 sts at end of Row 19.
Row 20: Repeat Row 4.
Row 21: Pick up a loop in each horiz st; slide loops to opposite end of hook and turn – 21 loops.
Row 22: Repeat 4 with B.
Row 23-30: Repeat Rows 21-22, alternating two rows of A and two rows of B.
DIVIDE FOR KEYHOLE-Row 31: * Pick up loop in next horiz st, transfer loop to stitch holder, pick up loop in next horiz st holding it on hook; repeat from * keeping st holder to the back of work. DO NOT TURN – 11 B sts on hook, 10 B sts on holder
Row 32: Working only sts on hook, yo, draw through one loop, * yo, draw through 2 loops; repeat from * across; drop B, ch 1 with A.
Row 33: TKS in each st across – 11 sts.
Row 33 Return: Yo, draw through 1 loop; *yo, draw through 2 loops; repeat from * across until 1 loop remains;
DO NOT TURN.
Rows 34-40 Return: Repeat Row 33 and Row 33 Return.
Row 41: TKS in each st across, transfer loops to 2nd stitch holder.
Work 2nd half of 1st keyhole: Turn work, place loops from 1st st holder on hook making sure B yarn is to the left.
Repeat Rows 32 – 41 on 10 sts with B.
Rejoin sts: Holding work so st holder with 11 sts is closest to you, replace loops on hook beginning with 1st st at right edge of front holder and alternating 1 st from each holder.
21 sts on hook, one strand of yarn at each edge of work.
Row 42: Repeat Row 4 with A, drop A, ch 1 with B.
Rows 43-146: Repeat Rows 21-22, alternating two rows of
A and two rows of B.
DIVIDE FOR KEYHOLE-Row 147: Repeat Row 31.
Rows 148-157: Repeat Rows 32-41.
Work 2nd half of 2nd keyhole as for first through Rejoining Sts.
Row 158: Repeat Row 42.
Rows 159-168: Repeat Rows 21-22 alternating two rows of A and two rows of B.
Row 169: Skip 1st horiz st, pick up loop in each horiz st until 2 remain; skip next horiz st, pick up loop in final horiz st; slide loops to opposite end of hook and turn – 19 loops.
Row 170: Repeat Row 4.
Rows 171-184: Repeat rows 169-170; noting two fewer loops on hook each pick-up row – 5 loops at end of Row 183.
Row 185: Skip first horiz st, slip st in next horiz st, skip next horiz st, slip st in final horiz st; transfer final loop of A to standard hook for edging. Fasten off B.
Edging: Ch 1, turn so predominantly A side is facing; working in ends of rows, sc evenly around working through top thickness only of keyhole section, join with slip st in beginning sc. Fasten off. Weave in yarn ends.
ABBREVIATIONS: A, B = color A, B; ch = chain; mm = millimeters; st(s) = stitch(es); yo = yarn over; * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated; [ ] = work directions in brackets the number of times specified.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Beginner Crochet Cap
- Great Gatsby Crochet Cloche Hat Pattern
- Pineapple Crochet Scarf
- Fairy Garden Beanie
- Chunky Popcorn Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Sea Foam Infinity Scarf
- Blue Beret Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Brown Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
- Convertible Free Crochet Cowl Pattern
- 17 Knit & Crochet Ear Warmer Patterns
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Learn to Embroider with the Best of Leisure Arts
- Colorful Ladybugs Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Reworked Rainbow Table DIY Craft Project
- Leisure Arts Book Bundle
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Beginner Pack
- Red Heart Fancy Yarn Pack
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Decor, and More free eBook
- American Quilter's Society Gift Card
- Marvy Uchida Easy Crystal Applicator
- Sizzix eclips2 DIY Electric Cutter Starter Kit