If you want to make a great crochet project, the Poppy flower will be fun and easy. This simple crochet pattern will deliver a cute crochet flower. This flower has red double row petals with a black center and stamens.
- Red Heart Yarn, Center – Black #312 2 yds.
- Red Heart Yarn,Double Row Petals – Jockey Red #902 9 yds.
- Stamens – DMC #310
- H hook
Center of Flower:
With H hook and black [leave 30” for behind petals], ch 6 and form a ring, 12 sc in ring,join to beg sc and fasten off leaving about 5” of yarn to close up center hole.
- Back Petals: With jockey red work in back loop *(sl st, ch 2, 2 dc) in any loop, (2 dc, ch 2, sl st) in next loop to form a petal, rep from * around, join to beg sl st and fasten off. (6 petals)
- Front Petals: Work in front loop *(sl st, ch 2, 2 dc) in any loop, (2 dc, ch 2, sl st) in next loop to form a petal, skip one loop, rep from * around, join to beg sl st and fasten off. (4 petals)
With 5” of yarn left weave to close up center hole.
With 6 strands DMC #310 fill entire center of the flower with french knots.
(Continue with Rnd 1 as established in afghan instructions.)
- If sewing flower directly to crocheted item omit instructions between [ ].
- If continuing a pattern behind the petals of a flower, use all instructions for the flower then crochet the following:
Rnd 1 – (Behind Petals)
With H hook and 30” strand of yarn (left behind flower) work in center of the
flower *sc between any 2 sc, ch 3, cont from * around evenly spacing 3 more
ch 3 sps, join to beg sc and fasten off. (4 ch 3 sps)
Continue with your pattern.