Simply Soft Striped Poncho
By: Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
You'll love the finished product that comes out of this poncho pattern. The different colored yarns adds some nice depth and design. Of course the fringe and tie make for great embellishments.
S (M, L)
Neck 10 (11, 12 1/2)"
Length 9 (12, 16)", excluding fringe
- Caron International's Simply Soft Brites (100% acrylic):
- #9607 Limelight, 2 skeins, all sizes (A) - use double strand
- #9610 Grape, 1 skein all sizes (B)
- Caron International's Simply Soft Boucle (99% acrylic, 1% polyester):
- #0013 Grape, 2 (3, 4) balls (C)
- One size US K/10 1/2 (6.5 mm) crochet hook
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle (tn)
In Fan stitch, using 2 strands A held together, 3 fans = 4"/10 cm and 3 rnds = 2"/5cm
In double crochet, using 1 strand C, 2 sts and 2 rnds = 2"/5 cm
Increase (inc): [dc, ch 1, dc] in next st/space—counts as 3 sts
Double crochet (dc)
Fan Stitch (Fan st)
* Ch 1, skip 3 sts, work 3 dc in next st/space; repeat from * as indicated in instructions—counts as 4 sts (one Motif plus ch-1 space).
In next ch-space, work [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc]—counts as 8 sts, (one Motif each side of ch-2 space).
1. Poncho is worked in-the-round from neck edge to lower edge.
2. One motif = 3 dc (of Fan St or V-st).
3. The ch-2 of V-st = center Front and Back points; the ch-1 of inc = shoulder points.
Using C, ch 44 (60, 76) sts; being careful not to twist chain, join with a slip st to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st [increase made], * dc in next 10 (14, 18) ch, inc in next ch; rep from * 3 times, end dc in next 10 (14, 18) ch, join with a slip st to third ch of beg ch-4—52 (68,
84) sts, counting ch-1 spaces. Fasten off C. Join A (2 strands of held together) with a slip st to last st.
Rnd 2: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st [increase made], * work Fan st [2 (3, 4) times], ch 1, skip 3, work V-st in next ch-1 space, work Fan st [2 (3, 4) times], ch 1, skip 3 +, inc in next space; rep
from * once, end rep at +, join with a slip st in third ch of beg ch-4—3 (4, 5) motifs between points.
Rnd 3: Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1), dc in first st [increase made], * work Fan st in next ch-1 space [3 (4, 5) times], ch 1, skip 3, V-st in next ch-2 space, Fan st in next ch-1 space [3 (4, 5) times], ch 1,
skip 3 +, inc in next ch-1 space; rep from * once, end rep at +, join with a slip st in third ch of beg ch-4—4 (5, 6) motifs between points.
Rnd 4: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st [increase made], *ch 1, work 3 dc in next ch-1 space, Fan st in next ch-1 space [3 (4, 5) times], ch 1, work 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, work V-st in next ch-2
space, ch-1, work 3 dc in next ch-1 space, Fan st in next ch-1 space [3 (4, 5) times], ch 1 +, inc in next ch-1 space; rep from * once, end rep at +, join with a slip st in third ch of beg ch-4—5 (6, 7) motifs
between points. Fasten off A. Join C with a slip st to last st.
Rnd 5: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st [increase made], * [dc in next 3 dc, skip ch-1] 5 (6, 7) times +, inc in next ch-space; rep from * 3 times, end last rep at +, join with a slip st in third ch of beg
ch-4—72 (84, 96) sts.
Rnd 6: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), beg in first st, work 17 (20, 23) dc +, inc st in next ch-1 space; rep from *3 times, end last rep at +, join with a slip st in third ch of beg ch-4—80 (92, 104) sts.
Continuing to work increased sts between inc and V-st into patt as est,
Repeat Rnds 2 – 6: 2 (2, 3) times.
Repeat Rnds 2 - 5: 0 (1, 1) time(s).
Using tn, weave in all ends.
Using A and B, cut strands 12" long. Holding 3 strands together [alternate colors as desired], fold fringe in half. Using crochet hook, * insert hook from WS to RS into first st at one corner, pull through loop
[fold of strands], insert ends into loop and pull tight against edge; repeat from *, working into every other stitch around entire lower edge of Poncho.
Using hook and 1 strand each of A and B, make slip knot; insert 3 strands of fringe in knot to form tassel. Cont with 2 strands held together, ch 100 (120, 140). Cut yarn; before fastening off yarn, insert 3
strands of fringe into last st, fasten off. Tie a knot at the top of each tassel.
Beg at center Front V-st, using hook, weave tie between sts at neck edge (see photo).
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Amethyst DIY Jewelry Box Anthropologie Knockoff
- Retro Gumball Machine Craft
- Faux Fur DIY Wall Hangings
- Marquee Light DIY Desk Decor
- Blushing Peony DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Color Blocked DIY Christmas Trees
- Easy Beaded DIY Christmas Garland
- Julie Shawl Crochet Pattern
- DIY Fall Wreath
- DIY Halloween Spiders Tutorial