We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate purse crochet pattern from Kreinik creates an exotic shoulder bag with zebra stripes of white and black. Follow the stitch chart to create this crochet design that any girl is sure to love. You could even add a fun pink flower for a dash of color. This small purse is great for carrying makeup and other small necessities for a quick trip to the store or market. You could also fill it with some CD's and give it to your daughter for her birthday.
- 24 spools Kreinik Fine (#8) Braid 005 Black
- 1 ball DMC Cebelia Crochet cotton yarn in white
- Size 2 steel crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- 50 (5)mm black opaque pony beads
- 2 (3/4)-inch in diameter plastic rings
- 7-inch white zipper
- 1/2 yard white satin for lining
- Sewing needle and white sewing thread
- Small plastic bag with resealable top
- Tapestry needle
- Pattern with Stitch Chart
Gauge: 22 sc and 22 rows = 3 inches with 2 strands crochet cotton held tog - Check gauge to save time.
- Work white sections with 2 strands white crochet cotton held tog and black sections with 3 strands black Fine Braid held tog throughout.
- To change color in sc, work last sc before color change as follows: insert hood in next st, yo with working color, draw up a lp, drop working color to WS, yo with next color, complete sc.
- When working front and back of bag, carry color not in use loosely across WS of work, working over it with color in use every 4th or 5th st.
- When working shoulder strap, carry color not in use up inside of shoulder strap until needed.
- Before beg to work, puncture 3 small holes approximately 2 inches apart across center of plastic bag. Place 3 spools of Fine Braid in bag and draw one end from each spool through each hole
ROW 1 (RS): With white, ch 43, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each of next 4 chs, changing to black in last st; sc in next ch with black, changing to white; sc in each of next 5 chs with white, changing to black in last st; sc in each of next 4 chs with black, changing to white in last st; sc in each of next 4 chs with white, changing to black in last st; sc in each of next 4 chs with black, changing to white in last st; sc in each of next 6 chs with white, changing to black in last st; sc in each of next 3 chs with black, changing to white; sc in each of last 10 chs with white, ch 1, turn. (42 sc)
- ROWS 2-43: Work from chart, reading all odd-numbered (RS) rows from right to left, all even-numbered (WS) rows from left to right; at end of Row 43, ch 1, do not turn.
- Matching color of edging to color of section being worked and working over end st of each row across, work 42 sc evenly sp to end of Row 2, 3 sc in first rem lp of foundation ch, sc in each rem ch of foundation ch across to last st, 3 sc in last st; working over end st of each row across, beg in end st or Row 2, work 42 sc evenly sp to next corner, fasten off.
- ROWS 1-43 : Rep Rows 1-43 of Front.
- Rep edging instructions for front.
Join Front and Back
- With WS tog and front facing, working through both thicknesses at once, attach 2 strands white held tog with a sl st in upper left corner edging sc, ch 1; beg in same st, sc in each st around 3 sides to opposite side of top opening, working 3 sc in each corner st at bottom of bag, 3 sc in top corner st, sc in each st across front opening, sc in each st across back opening, join in center sc of 3 corner st, fasten off.
Note: Do not join rnds unless otherwise stated.
RND 1 (RS): Leaving, 6-inch length for finishing, with white, ch 2, 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (5 sc)
RND 2: Sc in each sc around (5 sc)
Rep Rnd 2 until shoulder strap measures approximately 2 inches, changing to black in lasts st of rnd. Alternating white and black sections at random intervals, rep Rnd 2 until shoulder strap measures 30 inches or desired length, ending with white section, sl st in next st; fasten off, leaving 6-inch length for finishing.
- With tapestry needle, weave length left for finishing through tops of sts of last rnd, pull tightly to close.
Covered Ring (make 2)
String 25 beads onto 3 strands black braid held tog. Work 12 sc around plastic ring, slide beads up to hook, ch 1 tightly, sl st in last sc made, 12 more sc in ring, join in beg sc, sl st to one end of shoulder strap, fasten off.
- Rep with rem plastic ring and beads; sl st to opposite end of shoulder strap, fasten off. With tapestry needle and thread left for finishing, tack one end of shoulder strap to top of purse at one side; rep with rem end of shoulder strap on opposite side of purse.
- Following instructions on zipper package, trim zipper to size. Set into top opening of purse. Measure purse. Cut 2 pieces satin each 5/8 inch larger on each of 4 sides than measurements of purse. With sewing needle and white thread, allowing 5/8-inch for seams, sew 2 sides and bottom of purse lining. Turn 5/8-inch down around top opening. Set lining into purse and sew in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 22 DIY Beaded Ornaments
- Gorgeous Vintage Jewelry Ornament
- Mini Mollie Mini Mandalas
- Easy Wooden Farmhouse Sign
- Harvest Wreath
- Design Your Own Handmade Quilt Pattern
- Pine Cone Candle Wreath
- Turkey Welcome Wreath
- Twine and Berry Fall Wreath
- Printable Wedding Invitations