Quirky Crochet Handbag
By: Jaime Maraia from Crochet Dynamite
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Visit Jaime at Crochet Dynamite.
This Quirky Crochet Handbag is an explosion of color that you can carry with you. This tutorial on how to make a crochet purse involves alternating seven colors of yarn. Instead of looking chaotic, the effect is a cute striped pattern that allows the colors of yarn to blend slightly. This DIY handbag tutorial also includes techniques for keeping the shape of the bag intact and for preventing the handles from stretching out. The rhinestone accents on this bag allow you to dress it up or dress it down, so it looks great with any outfit.
You can find this project, as well as many other fabulous blogger projects, in our new eBook, The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014: Decoupage, Sewing, Jewelry Making, and More free eBook. Download your own free copy today!
- Size F crochet hook
- Lion Brand bonbons
- 1/4 yard of bleached muslin
- 1/4 yard of Peltex 71 fusable interfacing
- Coats & Clark white sewing thread
- Coats & Clark invisible sewing thread
- Fiskars scissors
- Darice Mix and Mingle beads
- 5/8" black grosgrain ribbon
- 1/4" black grosgrain ribbon
- Yarn needle
- Sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine - Optional: All of the sewing in this project can be hand sewn, but it is easier and faster to use a machine
Note: This project uses 8 bonbon colors to create the body of the handbag. Changed color every row, rotating through all 7 colors: pink, pumpkin, teal, brown, red, silver, and purple. Gold yarn will be used for the edging.
Pink bon bon, ch 35
Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook, (ch 1, skip 1 ch, hdc in next ch) 16 times , hdc in last ch (34 st)
Rows 2-64: change color, ch 1, hdc in first st, (ch 1, hdc in next ch space) 16 times, hdc in last st (34 st) Fasten off.
Attach gold yarn in the top corner of the crochet outer shell.
Ch 1, sc in each ch space across the top of the piece, 3 sc in the corner st, 42 sc evenly along the side, 3 sc in the corner st, sc in each ch space across the bottom, 3 sc in the corner st, 42 sc evenly along the side, 3 sc in the corner st, sl st to first sc to finish row. Fasten off.
Weave in remaining end.
Side Piece (2)
Gold bonbon, ch 16
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across (15 st)
Rows 2-5: ch 1, sc in each st across (15 st)
Row 6: ch 1, sc 2 st tog, 11 sc, sc 2 st tog (13 st)
Rows 7-10: ch 1, sc in each st across (13 st)
Row 11: ch 1, sc 2 st tog, 9 sc, sc 2 st tog (11 st)
Rows 12-15: ch 1, sc in each st across (11 st)
Row 16: ch 1, sc 2 st tog, 7 sc, sc 2 st tog (9 st)
Rows 17-18: ch 1, sc in each st across (9 st)
Row 19: ch 1, sc 2 st tog, 5 sc, sc 2 st tog (7 st)
Rows 20-21: ch 1, sc in each st across (7 st)
Row 22: ch 1, 7 sc, ch 1, 15 sc evenly along side, ch 1, 15 sc across bottom of piece, ch 1, 15 st evenly along side, ch 1, sl st to first st to finish row. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Trace crochet outer shell piece onto the interfacing. Cut along line with scissors to remove interfacing.
Iron the 1/4 yard strip of muslin to remove any wrinkles. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse the interfacing to one end of the muslin strip.
Fold muslin in half behind interfacing. Pin in place. Using the edge of the interfacing as a guide and a 1/4" seam, use a sewing machine to sew along 3 sides of interfacing (short side, long side, short side).
Leave 1/2" of fabric along unsewn side of the lining. On the 3 sewn sides, trim the muslin/interfacing to 1/8" from seam, making sure not to snip into the seam. Clip corners if necessary. Turn the lining right side out.
The interfacing is very stiff, and it will cause the whole piece to bow a little. Finger press the seams down to help fold them into place. Tuck the raw edges of the open side of the lining to the inside. Pin the edges closed.
Iron the lining to smooth any wrinkles and press all of the edges, paying careful attention to press the fabric along the open edge. Sew the open side closed using a 1/8" seam.
Pin the lining to the crochet outer shell. Using the invisible thread hand sew the lining to the crochet piece along both of the long sides only. Leave top part of the stitches in the crochet edging free. Make sure to sew into the center of the body of the stitch of the edging row of the crochet outer shell.
Adding Side Pieces
Pin the side pieces onto the lined crochet shell.
Using gold yarn, and matching stitches, single crochet the sides to the bag (42 st).
Cut two 12" lengths from the 5/8" ribbon.
Thread a silver and blue bead onto each end of one of the ribbons to create front handle. Slide end of ribbon between crochet shell and lining of the bag. Pin in place.
Make sure that the handle is centered and at desired length (Recommended length: 5" drop)
Repeat on other side of purse using the plain ribbon. Make sure that back handle drop is the same length as front handle drop, and that handles match up in the same place along the top edges of front and back of purse.
Cut two 6" lengths from the 1/4" ribbon.
Fold one of the pieces in half lengthwise at one end. Run a sewing needle through it to hold it in place.
Thread needle/ribbon through the large crystal center bead. Center bead on ribbon and remove needle.
Thread the ends of the ribbon through the crochet outer shell, 5 rows down from the top edge and centered. Push the ends of ribbon up to top edge of purse and pin in place.
Make a loop with the other 6" piece of ribbon. Adjust it so that it slips over the large center bead. Center it along the top edge of the back of purse, sliding ends of the ribbon between crochet shell and lining. Pin in place. Make sure that it is lined up with the center bead, and that the loop will close the purse to your satisfaction.
Using the sewing machine, sew the front side ribbons to the lining only, 1/8" from the top edge. This will keep the handles from pulling on and stretching out the bag.
Repeat on back side.
Tuck center ribbons down between crochet shell and lining. Pin crochet shell to the top of the lining. Using the invisible thread, hand sew the top edge of crochet to lining. Repeat on the back side.
Bottom of Bag
Find the crocheted row on the front of the bag that lines up with the bottom front corners of the purse. Use your fingers to crease along the row to make the bottom edge of the purse straight.
Repeat on the back side, making sure that the front of the purse and the back of the purse are the same length. Your purse will now sit flat and hold its shape.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques