2 Tone Tote
By: Mary E. Nolfi for Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet a lovely tote bag in two complimentary yarn colors with this intermediate bag crochet pattern from Caron International Yarns. The comfortable crochet straps run to the bottom of the tote bag and felt lining completes the project.
- Caron International's Simply Soft Heather (100% Acrylic; 5 oz/141.8 g, 250 yds/228 m skein): 2 skeins MC
- Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein): 2 skeins CC. Shown in: #9503 Woodland Heather (MC); #9707 Dk Sage (CC).
- One size US H-8 (5mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge.
- Craft felt to match yarn—1/2 yd/0.5m (for lining)
- Yarn needle
Finished Size: Tote measures approximately 14"/35.5 cm wide x 10"/25.5 cm high x 4"/10 cm deep
Gauge: In pattern (Front), with two strands held together, 13 sts and 10 rows = 4"/10cm.
In single crochet, with two strands held together, 13 sts and 14 rows = 4"/10cm.
- Tote is worked holding two strands of yarn together throughout.
- To change color, work last st of old color to last yarn over; yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete st. Do not cut old color; carry colors not in use up side of work.
With 2 strands of MC held together, chain 47.
Row 1 (RS): 2 dc in fifth ch from hook (beginning ch counts as 1 ch of foundation ch and first dc), *skip next ch, 2 dc in next ch; repeat from * across to last 2 ch, skip next ch, dc in last ch, do not turn—44 dc. Drop, but do not cut, MC.
Row 2 (RS): Join CC with sc in first dc of Row 1 (top of beginning ch), *ch 1, skip next 2 dc, sc in space before next dc (between 2-dc groups); repeat from * across to last 3 dc, ch 1, skip next 2 dc, sc in last dc; change to MC in last sc, turn—22 sc, and 21 ch-1 spaces. Drop, but do not cut, CC.
Row 3 (WS): With MC, ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 2 dc in each ch-1 space across, dc in last sc, do not turn. Drop, but do not cut, MC.
Row 4 (WS): Pick up CC at opposite end of row by drawing up a loop in the first dc (top of beginning ch), ch 1, sc in same dc, *ch 1, skip next 2 dc, sc in space before next dc (between 2-dc groups); repeat from * across to last 3 dc, ch 1, skip next 2 dc, sc in last dc; change to MC in last sc, turn. Drop, but do not cut, CC.
Rows 5–24: Repeat Rows 3 and 4.
Fasten off both MC and CC.
Work as for Front.
With 2 strands of MC held together, chain 33.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, turn—32 sc.
Rows 2–12: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.
Note: Work now proceeds in rounds.
Round 13: Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in each remaining st across to last st, 2 sc in last st; pivot to work in ends of rows along side, sc in end of each row along side; pivot to work in free loops on opposite side of foundation ch, 2 sc in first ch, sc in each ch across to last ch, 2 sc in last ch; pivot to work in ends of rows along opposite side, sc in end of each row along side; join with slip st in first st—92 sc.
Round 14 (RS): Ch 1, working in front loops only, slip st in each st around. Fasten off.
STRAP (make 2)
With 2 strands of CC held together, chain 150.
Row 1: Working in back loops only, slip st in second ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, turn—149 sts.
Rows 2 and 3: Ch 1, slip st in each st across, turn.
Cut three linings from craft felt, one each for Front, Back and Bottom. The linings should be about 1/4"/0.5 cm smaller than the crochet pieces along all edges. Tack linings into place on WS of pieces, leaving room in stitch work to crochet Front, Back and Bottom together. Note: Bottom lining should be on opposite side from slip st rim (Round 14).
Hold WS of Front and Back together. Working through both thicknesses, join CC with slip st in top corner, sc in end of each row along one side. Fasten off. Repeat to join opposite side. Hold joined Front and Back section and Bottom with WS together. Center short ends of Bottom against side seams of Front and Back. Arrange lower edges of Front and Back around edges of Bottom. Working through two thicknesses throughout, join CC with slip st in side seam, work sc evenly spaced around Bottom to join to Front and Back section; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Arrange one Strap on Front. Curve strap in half so that ends are centered along lower edge of Front, spaced about 5"/12.5 cm apart. Arrange remainder of Strap, each half extending straight up to top edge of Front, and curved section forming shoulder loops above top edge. Sew Strap in place. Repeat to attach other Strap to Back.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
If you're looking for other easy tote bag patterns, check out 26 Fashionable Free Bag Patterns
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Purple Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Printable Quote Coloring Sheet
- Imp Hair Hat
- V-Stitch Hats For All
- Celtic Passion Beanie
- Bright and Colorful Loom Knit Hat
- Super Bulky Oversized Messy Bun Hat
- Seashore Messy Bun Hat
- Heart Quartet Mandala Coloring Page
- Short n Sassy Messy Bun Hat