Princess and Frog
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
With this crochet frog and crochet princess, kids can act out the classic fairytale by Brothers Grimm, "The Frog Prince," recently adapted by Disney into an animated film. This crochet toy pair makes for fun make-believe during play-time.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Super Saver®”-Princess: 1 Skein each 381 Light Blue A, 313 Aran B, 321 Gold C, 324 Bright Yellow D; Frog: 1 skein 368 Paddy Green A, 12” of 256 Carrot B.
- Crochet Hook: 3.75mm [US F-5].
- Split-lock stitch marker
- yarn needle
- Princess: 2 small blue buttons for eyes
- small amount red and black pearl cotton
- red crayon for cheeks
- Frog: two 12mm wiggle eyes.
SIZE: Princess measures 6” tall. Frog measures 6½” high from top of eyes to bottom of body.
GAUGE: 16 sc = 4”; 20 rnds = 4” in sc. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
inc (increase) = 2 sc in next sc.
dec (decrease) = draw up a loop in each of next 2 sc, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
NOTE: Work in continuous rounds of sc without joining unless otherwise indicated. Place a marker in first stitch of round and move up each round.
HEAD AND BODY: Begin at top of head with B, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: 2 Sc in each sc around – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: [Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times – 18 sc.
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times – 24 sc.
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6times – 30 sc.
Rnds 6-12: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 13: [Dec] 15 times – 15 sc.
Neck-Rnd 14: [Sc in next 3 sc, dec] 3 times – 12 sc.
Body-Rnd 15: [Inc] 12 times – 24 sc. Cut B. Stuff head.
Rnds 16-24: With A, sc in each sc around. Stuff body.
Rnd 25: [Dec] 12 times – 12 sc.
Rnd 26: [Dec] 6 times – 6 sc. Fasten off. Finish stuffing.
Weave yarn tail through remaining 6 sc, draw up firmly to gather; fasten securely.
ARM (Make 2): With B, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 6 Sc in 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 2: [Sc in next 2 sc, inc] twice – 8 sc.
Rnds 3-6: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Stuff lightly. Sew opening flat and sew in place.
HAIR: With D, ch 2.
Rnds 1-3: Repeat Rnds 1-3 of Head – 18 sc.
Rnd 4: Working in front lps only, slip st in first sc,* ch 10, 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across **, slip st in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join. Fasten off. Sew Rnds 1-3 to center top of head.
CROWN: With C, ch 13.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 12 sc.
Row 2: [Ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, skip next sc, sc in next sc] 6 times; bring beginning of this row around and join with a slip st to first sc. Fasten off. Sew to top center of hair.
EARS: With B, ch 2.
Row 1: 3 Sc in 2nd ch from hook; turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc in next sc, 2 sc in last sc. Fasten off. Sew ears in place.
Sew on button eyes with black pearl cotton. Embroider smile with red pearl cotton. Color cheeks with crayon.
SKIRT: With A, ch 25.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 24 sc.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in first sc, 2 dc in each sc across; turn – 48 sts.
Row 3: Ch 3, skip first dc, dc in each dc across and in top of ch-3; turn.
Row 4: Ch 1, [sc in dc, skip next dc, 5 dc in next dc, skip next dc] 12 times. Fasten off. Sew to waist; sew back seam.
LEG (Make 2): With B, ch 2.
Rnds 1 and 2: Repeat Rnds 1 and 2 of Head – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 4: Sc in first sc, [dec] 3 times, sc in last 5 sc – 9 sc.
Rnds 5-7: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off. Stuff. Sew in place.
HEAD AND BODY-Rnds 1-26: Work same as Princess Rnds 1-26 all with A.
EYE (Make 2): With A, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 6 Sc in 2nd ch from hook. Rnd 2: [Sc in next sc, inc] 3 times – 9 sc.
Rnd 3: Sc in each sc around. Fasten off.
Insert wiggle eye. Sew in place at top of head as pictured.
ARM (Make 2)
Rnds 1-3: Work same as Princess Rnds 1-3 with A.
Row 4: Hold work flat and work 4 sc across through both thicknesses; turn – 4 sc.
“Fingers”-Row 5: Ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, skip first sc on Row 4, slip st in next sc, [ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, slip st in next sc on Row 4] twice. Fasten off. Sew in place.
LEG (Make 2)
Rnds 1-3: Work same as Princess Rnds 1- 3.
Rnds 4 and 5: Sc in each sc around. Stuff. Row 6: Hold work flat and work 6 sc across through both thicknesses; turn – 6 sc.
“Toes”-Row 7: Ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, skip first sc on Row 6, slip st in next sc, [ch 3, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, skip next sc, slip st in next sc] twice. Fasten off. Sew in place. With B, stitch mouth as pictured. Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Paracord Outdoor Gear Projects
- Shelbi Free Crochet Hat Pattern For Kids
- Totally Tulle DIY Fabric Flowers
- Seasonal FloraCraft Styrofoam Decor
- Tulip Color Shot Fabric Dye Set
- Book Page Paper Roses DIY Project
- Simplicity Bias Tape Maker Giveaway
- We R Memory Keepers
- Vintage Basket Easter Craft Project
- Recycled Egg Carton Easter Egg Basket