Prairie Star Crochet Afghan
By: Marilyn Coleman and Mary Jane Protus from Coats and Clark
Make your home into a little house on the prairie! Experienced crocheters with love this Prairie Star Crochet Afghan from Coats & Clark. Create the six center motifs for this free crochet pattern and work out from there.
- RED HEART "Super Saver": 6 Ounces 378 Claret CA, 11 ounces 303 Painted Desert Print CB, 5 ounces 633 Dark Sage CE, 15 ounces 316 Soft White CF
- RED HEART "Fiesta": 14 Ounces 6013 Wheat CC, 7 ounces 6661 Meadow CD
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Yarn needle
- FIRST MOTIF: With CA, ch 4; join with a sl st to form a ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, [sc, hdc, dc, tr, ch 3, tr, dc, hdc] twice all in ring; join with a sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 5, dc in sc, * dc in next 3 sts, (3 dc, ch 4, 3 dc) all in ch-3 sp, dc in next 3 sts **, (dc, ch 2, dc) all in next sc; rep from * to **; join to 3rd ch of ch-5.
- Rnd 3 (See Note): Ch 3, * (dc, ch 3, dc) all in ch-2 sp, dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, skip next dc, (3 dc, ch 5, 3 dc) all in ch-4 sp, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next 3 dc, ch 1, skip next dc **, dc in next 2 dc; rep from * to **; dc in last dc; join to top of ch-3. Fasten off.
- 2ND MOTIF: With CA, work Rnds 1 and 2 same as for first motif.
- Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in ch-2 sp; ch 1, with wrong sides together sc in ch-3 sp on first motif, ch 1, dc in same ch-2 sp on 2nd motif, dc in next 2 dc; sc in next ch-1 sp, skip next dc on motif in progress – join made; dc in next 3 dc, join, 3 dc in ch-4 sp, ch 2, sc in ch-5 sp on first motif, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-4 sp on 2nd motif; complete same as first motif – 1 side joined.
- NOTE: Check motif placement carefully. Some motifs will be joined beginning at a ch-5 sp. Some motifs will join a ch-3 sp to a ch-5 sp.
- Following diagram, join all motifs in this manner: sc in a corresponding sp of a completed motif (the sc replaces one chain stitch on the motif in progress). Where 3, 4, or 6 points come together, join at points by sc into the sc of a previous joining.
- HALF MOTIF: Ch 4; join with a sl st to form a ring.
- Row 1 (Right Side): Ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, tr, ch 3, tr, dc, hdc, sc) all in ring; do not join; turn.
- Row 2: Ch 3, dc in first 4 sts, (3 dc, ch 4, 3 dc) all in ch-3 sp, dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in last sc; turn.
- Row 3-Joining Row: Ch 3, sc in ch-sp on completed motif, ch 1, dc in first 3 dc, join, dc in next 3 dc, join, 3 dc in ch-4 sp, ch 2, sc in sc of previous joining, ch 2, 3 dc in same ch-4 sp, join to next motif, dc in next 3 dc, join, dc in next 2 dc, dc in top of ch-3, ch 1, sc in ch-sp on completed motif, ch 3, sl st in top of ch-3 of Row 2. Fasten off.
- EDGING-Rnd 1: With right side facing, attach CE in any st; ch 1, work 1 rnd sc evenly around, increasing at outer points and decreasing at inner points to keep work flat; join to first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 3, work 1 rnd dc, increasing and decreasing at points as before to keep work flat; join to top of ch-3. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- AFTER THE FIRST MOTIF, ALL OTHERS ARE JOINED WHILE WORKING RND 3.
- Work and join center six CA motifs first, then work outward following diagram.
- Afghan measures approximately 54" x 77"
- GAUGE: Motif measures 4 1/4" x 6 3/4" before joining. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
- CA, CB, CC: Color A, B,C, ect.
- ch: chain
- dc: double crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- mm: millimeters
- rep: repeat
- sc: single crochet
- sl: slip
- sp: space
- st: stitch
- tr: treble crochet
- *: repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
- [ ]: work directions in brackets the number of times specified
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts