Make a patterned crochet afghan in two colors for a gorgeous way to keep warm on the couch. This crochet afghan pattern is great for sprucing up your living room, too!
- Caron International's Simply Soft (6 oz/170 g skein): 4 skeins (A);
- Caron International's Simply Soft Heather(5 oz / 142 g skein): 4 skeins (B);
- Crochet hook size US H-8 (5mm), or size to obtain gauge
- Small stitch holder
- Yarn needle
In Stitch pattern, 19 sts and 8 rows = 5"/12.7 cm; gauge is not critical for this project.
dc5tog: Double crochet 5 stitches together (cluster): [Yarn over, insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops, leaving remaining loop on hook] 5 times (worked over 2 dc, sc, 2 dc), yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.
Chain (ch), Double crochet (dc), Single crochet (sc)
SCALE STITCH (multiple of 6 sts + 1)
- Row 1: Using A, work 2 dc in fourth ch from hook, *skip 2 ch, sc in next ch, skip 2 ch, work 5 dc in next ch; repeat from * across, end last repeat work 3 dc in last ch; slip loop from hook onto holder, do NOT turn.
- Row 2: Return to beginning of previous row, join B with a slip st to third ch of beginning ch-3 worked with A; ch 3, * dc5tog over next [2 dc, sc, 2 dc], ch 2, sc in next dc (center st of dc-5 of previous row), ch 2; repeat from * across, end last repeat sc in last dc (third dc of dc-3 of the previous row), working last part of sc by drawing the loop of A from holder through 2 loops on hook, turn; do NOT cut B.
- Row 3: Using A, ch 3, work 2 dc in first sc, * skip 2 ch, sc in dc-5tog, skip 2 ch, work 5 dc in next sc; repeat from * across, end last repeat work 3 dc in first ch of beginning ch-3 worked with B; slip loop from hook onto holder, do NOT turn.
- Row 4: Repeat Row 2. Repeat Rows 3 – 4 for Scale st.
NOTE: Throw is worked lengthwise, alternating colors A and B; one row of each color is worked from right to left, then 2 rows are worked from left to right, alternately.
- Using A, chain 208.
- Row 1: Begin Scale st—205 sts after Row 1. Work even until piece measures 36" from beginning, end with Row 3 of pattern. Fasten off both colors.
- Fringe (Fringe shown was worked with 2 Fringes using A, alternating with 1 Fringe using B; cut strands accordingly, or as desired.)
- Using both colors, cut strands 16" long. Holding 2 strands together, fold fringe in half. Using crochet hook, * insert hook from WS to RS into first st at one corner, pull through loop, insert ends into loop and pull tight against edge; repeat from *, attaching 3 fringes (2-A, 1-B) for every 2 rows along both short ends of Throw. Using yarn needle, weave in ends.