Try this free crochet pattern for a July 4th crochet afghan, a warm blanket covered in patriotic stars and stripes. You can display your patriotism with this 4th of July craft in your home all year long.
- Size I crochet hook
- Caron International's Simply Soft 24 oz. White (Color A), 24 oz. Dark Country Blue (Color B), 15 oz. Red (Color C).
STRIPED BLOCKS: (Make 10) With Red, ch 39.
- Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in ea ch across, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, 1 sc in ea st across, turn.
- Row 3: Rep row 2 keeping in pattern, work 3 rows White, 3 rows Red, alternately until there are 13 stripes. Fasten off.
- Attach Royal at the top left hand corner and ch 3, work dc in ea row along side edge, work (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in corner, dc in ea st along bottom edge, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in corner, dc in ea row along side edge, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in corner, dc in ea st across top, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in corner, join with a sl st in the 3rd ch of beg ch 3. Fasten off.
- Weave in yarn ends.
STAR BLOCKS: (Make 10) With Royal, ch 39.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and sc in ea ch across, ch 1, turn. Complete chart. Fasten off. With Royal, work 1 rnd dc around block the same as for striped block. Weave in yarn ends.
- Sew blocks tog. With Royal, work 1 rnd dc around having 1 dc in ea st along top, bottom and sides and (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in the ch 1 st at corners. Fasten off. Weave in yarn ends.
- Fringe: Cut one 24" strand ea, Red, Royal and White and holding ends tog, attach in the first st, * sk 2 sts and attach 3 strands in the next st, rep across. Attach fringe at the opposite end.