Diamonds From Squares Blanket
By: Karen Cartwright
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you are tired of making the same old patterns, give this a try, for something that's unique and sure to bring lots of compliments The stitch used is the corner-to-corner basket weave-look stitch. This crochet pattern will fit any aesthetic.
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport in the colors of your choice.
- Hook: Boye, size H
- To begin starting corner, ch 6.
- Row 1 (Right Side): Dc in 4th ch from hook and in next 2 ch; turn 1 block made.
- Row 2: Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook and in next 2 ch, (slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in ch-3 space of previous row 2 blocks made.
- Row 3: Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook and in next 2 ch, [(slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in next ch-3 space of previous row] twice; turn 3 blocks made.
- Row 4: Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook and in next 2 ch, [(slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in next ch-3 space of previous row] 3 times; turn 4 blocks made.
- Continue on in this manner, increasing 1 block on each row until you have completed 9 rows.
- Row 10: (Join on white yarn) Complete row 10 same as previous increase rows beginning with ch. 6.
- Row 11: (Do NOT ch 6) Join your alternating color of yarn. Slip st across first 3 dc, * (slip st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in next ch-3 space of previous row; repeat from * to last ch-3 space; slip st in last space; turn, do NOT make a block in last space.
- Repeat Row 11 for decreasing block, finishing with one last block to complete the Square. Fasten Off.
Note: I work in an assembly-line like method. I crochet all the squares I need. For a baby blanket I make 36 Squares. When finished I weave all the ends in. These are 1 Block each, consisting of 4 Squares whip stitched together. Turning the squares so that one of the colors faces the center, whip stitch them together to form a large Block, forming the diamond shape Weave in the yarn ends. Whip stitch the Blocks together. A baby blanket will be 3 Blocks by 3 Blocks. In the example shown, there are 4 green diamonds, 5 melon diamonds.. (I use matching yarn to sew the various colors together. I sew all of one color together then go back and change yarn to sew the rest together, so the seams arent so visible. Its more work but gives a nice finished look. Weave in the yarn ends.
Sew the Blocks together so the colors alternate. Weave in the yarn ends.
- [2-dc cluster = YO, insert hook and draw up a loop, YO, insert hook in same stitch to draw up a loop, YO draw hook through all 3 loops on hook.]
- Row 1: In the color you choose, single crochet around the entire blanket 1 sc in each of the dcs, 2 sc in the ch-3 spaces. In the corners, sc, ch 2, sc. Continue around blanket in same manner. Join to first sc with sl stitch.
- Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same sc stitch from previous row, ch 1, 2-dc cluster, ch 1. Continue 2-dc cluster,ch 1 to the corner. (In ch 2 space of corner of previous row, 2-dc cluster, ch 2, 2-dc cluster.) Continue 2-dc cluster, ch 1 around blanket in this manner. Join to top of first 2-dc cluster.
- Row 3: Repeat row 2, making the 2-dc clusters in the ch 1 space of previous row.
- Row 4: Using alternating color of yarn, ch 1, hdc in EACH dc cluster and each ch around blanket. In corner ch 2 of previous row, hdc, ch 2, hdc, then continue hdc in each stitch to next corner. Continue around blanket in this manner.
- Row 5: Using alternating color of yarn, repeat row 4.
- Row 6: Using alternating color of yarn, repeat row 4.
- Row 7: Ch 2, dc in same hdc stitch from previous row, ch 1, 2-dc cluster, ch. 1. Continue 2=dc cluster, ch 1 to the corner. (In ch 2 space of corner of previous row, 2-dc cluster, ch 2, 2-dc cluster) Continue around blanket in this manner.
- Row 8: Repeat row 7, making the 2-dc clusters in the ch 1 space of previous row. Weave in yarn ends to finish blanket.
This same stitch design can be used to make a variety of other designs, limited only to your imagination. Making larger Squares, and striping with alternate colors and even turning the squares different directions creates some amazing effects. These two blankets are made from 4 large squares sewn together. The pink/lavender blanket was made using smaller squares than in the example given for the pattern, requiring more squares to be made.The zig-zag blanket was my first attempt at this type of use of the diagonal corner-to-corner pattern. Part way through I discovered by turning the squares differently I could make the diamond shapes. This is the most recently completed blanket, using a striping at the start of a square, then changing to the last five rows being one solid color to create the solid diamond center. I try to vary the widths of the borders as well on each blanket to make each one truly unique. The second photo is a close-up of four squares sewn together to create one block of that blanket. Im not crazy about all the sewing and weaving ends in, but the end result is worth all the effort.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Dcor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 14 Beginner Crochet Patterns For Your Kitchen
- Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects
- Jessica Potasz
- Full of Love Crochet Mason Jar Cozy Pattern
- Colorful DIY Agenda Planner
- Blinged Out DIY Cell Phone Case
- Egg Carton Flower Fairies
- Spring Flower DIY Wreath
- Ric Rac Rose Earrings
- Toilet Paper Roll Paint Stamps