Crochet a Fan Throw
By: Katherine Eng
Fandango! Throw this colorful afghan from Red Heart Yarns on your bed or couch and you won’t need other accessories. Crocheted in changing hues of blue, purple and green in a foundation of heather gray, the colors really make an impression.
- Red Heart “Super Saver” (Art. E300) solid color 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); multi color and print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m), flecks 5 oz (141g), 260 yd (238 m) skeins: 7 skeins 400 Grey Heather A; 2 skeins each of 528 Medium Purple B, 624 Tea Leaf C, 347 Light Periwinkle D, 885 Delft Blue E; and 1 skein 512 Turqua F
- Crochet Hook: 6mm [US J-10]
- Yarn needle
- Throw measures 58” x 76”.
- GAUGES: Panel = 5.75” long x 2” wide at top; Square = 8.5” x 8.5”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauges.
- dec (decrease) = [draw up a loop in next st] twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- shell = 5 dc in specified st.
Square 1 (Square 2)-Make 24 each
- Row 1 (Right Side): With E (F), ch 2; sc in 2nd ch from hook; turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in sc; turn – 2 sc.
- Rows 3 and 4: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first sc, ch 1, sc in next sc; turn.
- Row 6: Ch 1, sc in first sc, sc in ch-1 space, sc in last sc; turn – 3 sc.
- Rows 7-9: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 10: Ch 1, sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in last sc; turn – 4 sc.
- Rows 11-12: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 13: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sc, ch 1, sc in last 2 sc; turn.
- Row 14: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sc, sc in ch-1 space, sc in last 2 sc; turn – 5 sc.
- Row 15: Ch 1, sc in first sc, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, sc in last sc. Fasten off.
- Row 1 (Right Side): With B (D), ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from hook; slip st in Row 1 of Panel 1; turn.
- Row 2: Repeat Row 2 of Panel 1.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc; slip st in Row 3 of Panel 1; turn.
- Continue working as for Panel 1 and joining panels by slip stitching every right side row to corresponding row of the panel to the left. At end of last row, slip st to last sc of the panel to the left and fasten off.
- Work as for Panel 2, slip stitching to corresponding rows of panel to the left, in the following colors: Panel 3: C (B). Panel 4: D (E). Panel 5: C (C). Panel 6: B (D). Panel 7: E (F).
- Row 1: With right side facing and A, draw up a loop in bottom ch (under first sc) of Panel 1; ch 1, 2 sc in same ch as joining, 2 sc in foundation ch of each panel across; turn – 14 sc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, dec, sc to last 2 sc, dec; turn – 12 sc.
- Row 3: Repeat Row 2 – 10 sc.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 5: Repeat Row 2 – 8 sc.
- Row 6: Ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, dec, sc in last 3 sc; turn – 7 sc.
- Row 7: Ch 1, dec, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, dec. Fasten off.
- Row 1: With right side facing, join A with a dc in corner sc of Panel 7, dc in same sc, * ch 1, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 1**, 3 dc between next 2 sc (in joining seam); repeat from * to last sc, end at **; 2 dc in last sc – 43 sts. Fasten off.
- Row 2: With wrong side facing, skip first 6 sts, join yarn in next dc; ch 1, sc in same dc as joining and in next 30 sts (counting ch-1 spaces as a st); turn leaving last 6 sts unworked – 31 sc.
- Row 3: Ch 1, skip first sc, dec, sc to last 3 sc, dec; turn – 27 sc.
- Rows 4 and 5: Repeat Row 3 – 23 sc at end of Row 4 and 19 sc at end of Row 5.
- Rows 6-11: Ch 1, dec, sc to last 2 sc; dec; turn – 7 sc at end of Row 11.
- Row 12: Ch 1, dec, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, dec. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Arrange Squares 1 and 2 following Assembly Diagram, noting the direction of the fans.
- After the first square, all others are joined while working the Square Edging.
- With right side facing, join A in center dc of bottom or top corner shell or in dc at beginning or end of Top Corner Row 1; ch 4, slip st in same dc, * ch 2, work [slip st, ch 2] 12 times evenly spaced to next corner **; (slip st, ch 4, slip st) all in next corner; repeat from * around, end at **. Fasten off. There will be 13 ch-2 spaces between each corner ch-4 space.
To Join Squares
- Join on 1 or 2 sides as necessary in ch-4 spaces and ch-2 spaces while working Square Edging. To join a ch-2 space = ch 1, drop loop from hook, insert hook from right side into corresponding space and into dropped loop, draw loop through, ch 1.
- To join a ch-4 space = ch 2, drop loop from hook, insert hook from right side into corresponding space and into dropped loop, draw loop through, ch 2.
- When all squares are joined, start working Border.
- With right side facing, join A in a ch-2 space to the left of any joining seam.
- Round 1: Ch 2, * slip st in next space, ch 2; repeat from * around working (slip st, ch 4, slip st) in corner ch-4 spaces; ch 2; repeat from * around; slip st in same ch-2 space as beginning of round; TURN.
- Round 2 (Wrong Side): Slip st in last ch-2 space worked.
- Repeat Round 2.
- Round 3 (Right Side): Ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) in each ch-2 space around and work (sc, ch 2, sc, ch 3, sc, ch 2, sc) in each corner ch-4 space; join with a slip st in first sc. Do not turn.
- Round 4: Slip st in next space, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) in each ch-2 space around and work (sc, ch 3, sc) in each corner ch-3 space; join. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
Be sure to check out more great crochet and knit afghan patterns in We’ve Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws from Red Heart Yarns.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts