Bright Posies Crochet Throw
By: Nanette M. Seale for Red Heart Yarns
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Crochet your own flower garden with the bright posies crochet throw pattern from Red Heart Yarns. If you're looking for bright and cheerful free crochet afghan patterns, the bright posies pattern is sure to lift your spirits and make you think of spring!
Throw measures 48” wide x 54” tall.
- Red Heart® “Super Saver®” (Art. E300) Solid 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); Multi, Fleck and Print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m) skeins: 1 skein 656 Real Teal A, 2 skeins 512 Turqua B, 2 skeins 316 Soft While C, 1 skein each 579 Pale Plum D, 356 Amethyst E, 373 Petal Pink F, 718 Shocking Pink G, 668 Honeydew H, 624 Tea Leaf I, 885 Delft Blue J, 381 Light Blue K, 322 Pale Yellow L
- Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8]
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: Rounds 1–4 (flower center) = 2½”; 7 petal rows = 3”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
hdc2tog = [Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook
Adjustable ring: Holding the yarn a few inches from the end, wrap around your finger. Do not remove wrap from finger, insert hook into the wrap and draw up a loop of working yarn. Chain one to secure the loop, and remove ring from finger. Work stitches of first round in the ring. Pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
1. Throw is made from 20 flower motifs, 2 each in color combinations #1, #2, #3 and #4, and 3 each in combinations #5, #6, #7, and #8.
2. Arrange motifs as shown in Assembly Diagram on page 51 and single crochet them together.
Work flower center with L for all flower motifs.
Color Combination #1 (make 2): Work petals with G, work center trim with F.
Color Combination #2 (make 2): Work petals with J, work center trim with K.
Color Combination #3 (make 2): Work petals with D, work center trim with E.
Color Combination #4 (make 2): Work petals with H, work center trim with I.
Color Combination #5 (make 3): Work petals with I, work center trim with H.
Color Combination #6 (make 3): Work petals with E, work center trim with D.
Color Combination #7 (make 3): Work petals with K, work center trim with J.
Color Combination #8 (make 3): Work petals with F, work center trim with G.
Flower Motif (make 20 as indicated in color
With L, make an adjustable ring.
Round 1 (Right Side): Work 6 sc in ring; do not join, work in continuous rounds—6 sc. Place marker for beginning of round, move marker up as work progresses.
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around—12 sc.
Round 3: [Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times— 18 sc.
Round 4: [Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times—24 sc—24 sc. Fasten off.
Row 1 (Right Side): With Right Side facing and working in back loops only, join petal color with slip st in first sc of last round of flower center, ch 2 (counts as hdc), hdc in same sc as join, 2 hdc in each of next 3 sc, turn—8 hdc.
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as hdc), hdc in first hdc, hdc in each hdc across, 2 hdc in top of turning ch, turn—10 hdc.
Note: In remaining rows of petal, begin each row by working into the first hdc, and do not work into the turning ch at the end of the row. This reduces the gap that can appear at the beginning of a row when the ch-2 turning ch is counted as a stitch.
Rows 3 and 4: Ch 2, hdc in first hdc, hdc in each hdc across, turn.
Rows 5 and 6: Ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc in each hdc across to last 2 hdc, hdc2tog, turn—6 hdc.
Row 7: Repeat Row 5, but do not turn at the end of the row—4 hdc.
Side Edging: Working across side of petal, [ch 2, sc between next 2 rows] 6 times, ch 2, sc in same back loop as last hdc of Row 1. Do not fasten off.
Row 1 (Right Side): Working in back loops of flower center, slip st in next sc, ch 2 (counts as hdc), hdc in same sc, 2 hdc in each of next 3 sc, turn—8 hdc.
Rows 2–7: Work same as Rows 2–7 of first petal.
Side Edging: Work same as side edging of first petal. Fasten off at the end of sixth petal.
With Right Side facing, and working in front loops of last round of flower center, join center trim color with sc in first sc, ch 3, *sc in next sc, ch 3; repeat from * around; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Round 1 (Right Side): With Right Side facing, join C with sc in first hdc2tog of Row 7 of any petal, 3 sc in next hdc, sc in next hdc, [ch 7, dc in side of Row 3 of same petal, dc in side of Row 3 of next petal, ch 7, sc in first hdc2tog of Row 7 of same petal, 3 sc in next hdc, sc in next hdc] 5 times, ch 7, dc in side of Row 3 of same petal, dc in side of Row 3 of next petal, ch 7; join with slip st in first sc—30 sc, 12 dc, and 12 ch-7 spaces.
Round 2: Ch 2, hdc in next sc, *(hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next sc, hdc in next 2 sc; 7 hdc in next ch-7 space, hdc2tog, 7 hdc in next ch-7 space **, hdc in next 2 sc; repeat from * around ending last repeat at **; join with slip st in top of beginning ch-2—126 hdc and 6 ch-2 spaces (at tips of petals). Fasten off.
Round 3: With Right Side facing, join A with slip st in same st as join, ch 2, hdc in next 2 hdc, (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next ch-2 space, hdc in next 10 hdc, hdc2tog, *hdc in next 9 hdc, (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next ch-2 space, hdc in next 10 hdc, hdc2tog; repeat from * around to last 6 hdc, hdc in last 6 hdc; join with slip st in top of beginning ch-2. Fasten off.
Round 4: With Right Side facing, join B with slip st in same st as join, ch 2, hdc in next 3 hdc, (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next ch-2 space, hdc in next 11 hdc, hdc2tog, *hdc in next 9 hdc, (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in next ch-space, hdc in next 11 hdc, hdc2tog; repeat from * around to last 5 hdc, hdc in last 5 hdc; join with slip st in top of beginning ch-2. Fasten off.
Arrange flower motifs as shown in Assembly Diagram. Sc edges of flower motifs together as follows: Working through both thicknesses, join B with sc in corner ch-2 space, working in back loops of last row, sc across to next ch-2 space, sc in ch-2 space. Fasten off. Note: Designer recommends joining motifs together into strips, 4 motifs long, then joining the strips together, matching corner stitches as you go.
Round 1 (Right Side): With Right Side facing, join C with slip st in any corner ch-2 space, ch 2 (counts as hdc), 2 hdc in same corner ch-2 space, hdc in each st around, working 3 hdc in each corner ch-2 space, and hdc2tog over 2 ch-2 spaces where two motifs are joined; join with slip st in top of beginning ch-2. Fasten off.
Round 2: With Right Side facing, join A with slip st in same st as join, ch 2 (counts as hdc), 3 hdc in next hdc (corner), hdc in each hdc around, working 3 hdc in each corner st; join with slip st in top of beginning ch. Fasten off.
Round 3: With Right Side facing, join B with slip st in same st as join, ch 2 (counts as hdc), hdc in next hdc, 3 hdc in next hdc, hdc in each hdc around, working 3 hdc in each corner st; join with slip st in top of beginning ch.
Round 4: Ch 1, work reverse sc in each hdc around; join with slip st in beginning ch. Fasten off.
Weave in ends. Block lightly, if desired.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques