This Flowerful Fruit Roll-Up Topiary is sure to make any kid go sugar crazy. It's a fun craft they won't mind creating.
See this project and more in 27 Topiary Craft Projects.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Cone, 9" x 4"
- Disc, 6" x 1"
- Acrylic paint: Green
- Fruit leather, one multi-flavor pack
- Candy dots
- Pre-made icing, your choice: fondant icing, one tube; light or whipped canned icing, one can; or powdered sugar and water
- Small cookie or fondant cutters: leaf; flowers
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Small bowl, measuring cup, teaspoon (if using powdered sugar icing)
- Optional: Red acrylic paint, medium flat paintbrush, disposable palette (paint must be food safe)
- Paint foam disc green. If desired, paint foam cone cone yellow. Use glue gun to adhere cone base to center top of disc.
- Gently unroll fruit leather; press flat. Use cutters to cut leaves and multi-size flowers from fruit. Note: If using fruit leather printed with temporary tattoos, first wipe fruit clean using clean, slightly damp cloth; let dry. Use scissors to cut freehand vines from green fruit leather.
- Follow package directions to prepare pre-made icing tube for use. If making own icing, combine 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar with a few teaspoons of water in small bowl to a spreadable consistency. If icing is too thick, add more water; too thin, add more sugar.
- Firmly press fruit shapes to cone surface; refer to photo as guide. If shapes aren't sticking well, remove and add a few drops of icing before reattaching to cone.
- Apply small amount of icing to backs of candy dots and adhere to flower centers and to cone around flowers.
- For bow at base, cut one 3/4" x 2" and four 3/4" x 3" strips from yellow fruit leather. Fold two 3" strips into loops and adhere to base using icing for glue; straight edges should be 1/2" apart. Fold 2" strip into loop and "glue" into space between first two loops. Cut v-shaped notch into one end of each remaining strip for tails; "glue" to base on each side of bow.
- Cut a few more flowers and leaves from fruit leather; "glue" to base around bow. Use icing to adhere candy dots to flower centers.
- To enjoy flowers, simply peel from topiary surface.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.