Decorate your child's room with their name on the wall. In five easy steps Styrofoam Brand Foam teaches us how to show who's the boss of the room. For some more neat kids crafts be sure you check this out!
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Sheets, 36" x 12" x 1" (one sheet yields 3 squares), or 12" x 12" x 1" squares, one for each letter
- Large flowers: chipboard, wood, felt or silk, one or more per square
- Decorative papers, 12" x 12" sheets, one for each foam square
- Decorative ribbon, such as grosgrain or velvet, 1" x 1-1/2 yds. per square
- Large letters: chipboard, wood, foam or felt
- Poster adhesive or small sawtooth hangers and nails
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Dental floss (optional)
- Putty knife, 1"
- Carpenter's level
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Liquid paper glue or stick-flat paste
- Optional: Acrylic paint and paintbrush.(if using wood letters)
- If using 12" x 12" x 1" squares, skip to Step 2. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure and cut each foam sheet into three 12" squares. Or, use dental floss: stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 20" length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
- Use putty knife to spread thin, even coat of paste onto one side of first foam square, or apply liquid glue. Center one sheet of paper on pasted foam; smooth paper with fingers. Repeat to cover all foam squares.
- Beginning and ending at one lower corner, use glue gun to secure ribbon around edges of each foam square; trim excess, allowing a bit of overlap.
- If necessary, paint wooden letters desired color; let dry. Using photo as a guide, glue letters and blossoms to squares; let dry flat.
- Use level and poster adhesive to secure cubes to wall as shown, or glue sawtooth hanger to top center back of each foam square and hang with small nails.
1. Heavier paper and cardstock will deliver smoother results.
2. While glue is wet, the paper might appear wavy. As glue dries, the paper will smooth out.
3. STYROFOAM Brand Foam is very forgiving. If the paper square does not meet the edges of the foam square exactly, run the edge of the foam square along a tabletop, compressing the foam.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.