Shiver Me Timbers Treasure Chest
By: Tammie Wilson for Delta Creative
Ahoy matey! This treasure chest from Delta Creative is a sure crowd-pleaser at any pirate-themed birthday party. Shiver me timbers...and start crafting!
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint (Autumn Brown 2055, Black 2506, White 2505, Moroccan Red 2552, Metallic 14K Gold 2604, Metallic Silver 2603)
- Delta Ceramcoat Gel Stain Medium
- Delta Ceramcoat Exterior/Interior Varnish- Satin
- Trunk Medium
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille brushes (1” Flat/Wash Series 7550C, #10 Shader Series 7300C, #8 Filbert Series 7500C, 10/0 liner Series 7350C)
- Black Permanent Marker
- Palette paper
- Paper towels
- Tracing paper
- Transfer paper
- Sand trunk to smooth any rough edges or areas. Mix equal parts Gel Stain Medium and Autumn Brown paint. Using the 1” brush apply stain to the entire trunk, inside and out. Use a paper towel to wipe back stain until desired effect is achieved.
- Mask off a 1.25” border around edges using the tape, making sure to burnish the edges to prevent the paint from seeping under the edges. Paint with two smooth even coats of Black.
- Trace pattern and transfer onto trunk using the graphite paper and a pencil. Basecoat as follows: skull and crossbones- White, scarf- Moroccan Red, eye patch, inside eye socket and upper portion of sword handles- Black, swords- Metallic Silver and lower portion of sword handles- Metallic 14K Gold.
- Shade both sides of the skull, under the scarf, the ends of the bones, under the skull where the bones cross, on the lower portion of the gold sword handle, on the lower portion of the swords, where the swords cross around the both images and along all the borders with Black.
- Shade the scarf with Moroccan Red + Black (1:1). Highlight the top edge of the swords with White.
- Add dots of Moroccan Red on the handle of the sword using the brush handle. Let dry and line one side with Metallic Silver to highlight and the opposite side with Black to shade. Add light stripes of Metallic Silver on the upper handle.
- Lettering is done with thinned Metallic Silver using a liner brush. Detail on lettering is done with thinned Metallic 14K Gold.
- Add detail shade lines to skull and cross bones using a black permanent marker.
- Finish with 2-3 coats of Satin Varnish.