Flat dolls are a wonderful way of playing with different fibers, papers, paints. This particular flat doll, Shaylee from Jacquard Products, is easy to make and is designed for several Jacquard products.
- Jacquard’s Inkjet Cotton: 1 sheet
- Jacquard’s Textile paints
- Jacquard Lumiere
- Jacquard Pearl Ex
- 1/4 yard HTCW Ultra Stabilizer, Pelmet Vilene, or TimTex
- 1/4 yard Wonder Under, Vliesofix or other light weight double sided bonding sheets
- Paint brushes and containers for paints and water
- Colored pencils
- Zig Millennium or Micron Pigma pens in black, brown, red
- Seed beads for the flowers, heat set crystals
- Leaf and flower shaped beads
- Metallic threads for your sewing machine
- 2 yards 4mm silk ribbon for her shoes
- 3 decorative brads
- Trim for her bodice
Download PDF Pattern here
1. Place the pattern (from download) onto your printer’s scanner bed and print onto the ink jet fabric.
2. Remove the paper backing and iron the double sided bonding sheet to the wrong side of the fabric.
3. Remove the paper and iron onto the thick stabilizer.
4. Paint Shaylee using various paints
5. For flesh mix Textile Traditions White, Yellow Ochre and a touch of Scarlet Red. Paint the flesh parts of Shaylee.
6. The rest of her clothing and hair use Lumiere. These add shimmer and excitement to the doll.
7. Pearl EX powders are used for shading, both on the clothing and flesh parts. Pick up the powders with the tip of a finger and dab them where you want to add highlights, shading and extra shimmer.
8. When paints and powders are dry, iron to set.
9. Outline the features with the pens and color in the eyes and lips with colored pencils.
10. With metallic thread in your machine’s upper threader and bobbin sew around all of the pieces.
11. Sew around the arm and bodice and the creases in the sleeves and skirt. Sew wavy lines in her hair. Sew the outline of the wings and the pattern of the wings. Cut out all pieces.
12. Using a large doll sculpting needle poke a hole where the brads go.
13. Attach the one arm and two legs with the brads.
14. Hand sew the flower and leaf shaped beads to fill in her bouquet. Iron on the heat-set crystals to add more sparkle.
15. Add some beads here and there and put a flower in her hair.
16. She is finished.