That's right: no boys allowed! Make it known by creating this funky doorknob hanger with style.
- Blank, unfinished wooden doorknob sign (often available in the
- Woodcrafts section of craft stores)
- Stencil (we used a butterfly stencil and some letter stencils)
- Kreinik Iron-on Braid in colors to match your design theme (we used 6580 Violet in #16 Braid)
- Household iron or Kreinik Mini Iron
- 3" x 4" Teflon press cloth
- Paint your wooden sign and let it dry thoroughly. Make sure the sign is clean and dry before beginning.
- Turn your iron onto the highest heat setting, and allow it to heat thoroughly. The adhesive in the thread needs high heat to be activated.
- Trace a pattern from your stencil in light pencil, to make design lines to follow. You can also draw freeform or use rubber stamps with a light ink pad.
- Place Iron-on Thread at your starting point, cover with the Teflon Press Cloth, and press with a hot iron for a few seconds to "tack" the thread into place.
- Continue ironing the thread down in sections, covering with the Teflon and pressing for 3 to 5 seconds with your iron. The Teflon press cloth keeps the adhesive from sticking to your iron.
- When finished, clip the thread, and start again with your next color in the same manner.
Kreinik threads available through needlework stores or www.kreinik.com.