By: Frank Tompkins of Styrofoam Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Create some cool dinosaurs to display around your house or in your son's room. This makes for a really neat birthday party activity. You can find this project and more kids' crafts in our free eBook, Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids!
Cutting. A serrated knife, hacksaw, floral knife or X-acto® knife easily cut through STYROFOAM Brand Products. Wax the knife blade with an old candle for easier, smoother cuts.
Painting: Spray paint with a water-based paint. Paints containing active solvents may damage foam. (See paint manufacturer's instructions for details.)
Gluing: White craft glue is ideal for STYROFOAM Brand Products. Use florists' picks or toothpicks to hold the pieces together until dried. For faster bonding, try a low temperature glue gun; hot glue guns can be used but they may melt a small portion of the foam. (Please follow manufacturer's safety instructions when operating a glue gun.)
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Body: 1- 5" egg
- Arms: 6-1-1/2" balls
- Legs/Feet: 2-4" eggs, 3- 3" eggs
- Tail: 1- 3" ball, 4- 2" balls, 4-1-1/2" balls
- Neck/Head: 1- 3" ball, 1- 2" ball, 1- 4" egg, 1-1-1/2" ball
- Wood picks
- 1- 3/4" doll's eyes, pair
- Sharp knife
- Blue felt tip pen (water based)
- Spray paint: dark blue, light blue, shocking pink
- Legs: Position 4" eggs on body (tapered ends down) as if dinosaur is walking. Carve out eggs so they fit snugly against body and glue in place. Glue one 3" egg to each 4" egg (tapered ends down). Cut remaining 3" egg in half lengthwise to form feet; glue on to legs.
- Tail: Glue together balls for tail, starting with 3" ball and ending with 1-1/2" balls. Glue tail to body; adjust tail as needed to help body stand.
- Head & Neck: Glue 3" ball onto body, followed by 2" ball. Carve a wedge from end of 4" egg, forming mouth; glue to 2" ball. Cut 1 1/2" ball in half; glue to head for sockets.
- Arms: Cut wedge out of two 1 1/2" balls, forming hands; glue together three balls for each arm. Attach to 3" ball.
- Painting: Mask the inside of mouth with tape and carefully paint front of body light blue, shading to white in the center; turn over and paint back side deep blue. Remove tape; carefully paint inside of mouth pink. Draw on nostrils and toe nails with blue felt tip pen. Attach doll's eyes to eye sockets.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Body: 1- 6" ball
- Legs/Feet: 2- 3" eggs, 2- 2" eggs, 6- 1-1/2" balls, 2- 1" balls,2- 2" balls
- Neck/Head: 1- 2" egg, 2- 1-1/2" balls
- Tail/Fins: 4- 1-1/2" balls, 4- 1" balls, 4-1/2" balls, 6- 3" eggs
- 1- 1/2" doll's eyes, pair
- Sharp knife
- Spray paint: bright green
- Back Legs: Position 3" eggs on body, tapered ends down. Carve out eggs so they fit snugly against body and glue in place. Glue one 1-1/2" ball to each egg.
- Front Legs: Glue 2" eggs to body, following instruction above. Glue 1-1/2" and 1" ball to each egg.
- Feet: Cut two 2" eggs in half lengthwise; glue to legs.
- Head & Neck: Whittle top of tapered end of 2" egg into muzzle. Glue together two 1-1/2" balls and 2" egg. Glue neck to body.
- Tail: Glue together balls for tail, forming a curve. Attach tail to body.
- Painting: Paint dinosaur body bright green. Attach doll's eyes to head.
- Fins: Shape tapered end of 3" eggs into a point (optional). Carefully cut six slices from each egg. Paint fins green. Attach fins in pairs, with larger fins on body and smaller fins on tail.
®™* Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow
This craft project was featured in 13 Kids Crafts for Father's Day. See them all here.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Buddy Up With Your Finger Friends
- Houses Coloring Page
- Gingerbread Candy Cups
- "Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids" eBook
- 17 Kids Sunday School Crafts
- No Cal Lollipop Treats
- Eco Friendly Plastic Cup Flowers
- "22 Summer Crafts for Kids" eBook
- Kid's Yarn Octopus
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids free eBook
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Dr. Knit's Curious Creatures Book Review
- Cool Comforts Knit Throw
- Casual Cables Throw
- Color Dip Scarf
- Premier Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
- Mason Jar DIY Herb Garden Infographic
- Solar Robot Coloring Page
- Spring Flowers Adult Coloring Page
- Rusty the Robot Coloring Page
- Robot on the Beach Coloring Page