Clay Rock Box
By: Syndee Holt for Sculpey and PluffyClub.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This kids crafts project from Polyform Products will be fun for the whole family. Use colorful new clays from Sculpey to create your own clay rocks and embellished wooden box to place them in. Get ready to have some fun because this box rocks, literally.
You can find this project and more kids' crafts in our free eBook, Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids!
- Unfinished wooden box
- Pluffy™: black, pink, white, brown, green, turquoise, grey, glow-in-the-dark, and beige
- Sculpey Premo Fashion Art Mini Metal Cutters: oval and circle
- Sculpey Premo Fashion Art 6 piece glitter sets
- Firefly™ Tool Set
- Craft paint in your selected color – this project shows a forest Green color
- Small foam brush
- Small piece of scrapbook paper in a complementary color to your paint – preferably one with a pattern that looks like a rock
- Brown craft paint
- Bamboo skewer
- Small amount of ground Black pepper from the kitchen
- White craft glue, such as Crafter's Pick Super Tacky glue
- Small bag of cotton balls to line the finished box
- Wax paper
- Metal baking sheet or disposable foil
- A handful of pepper
- A leaf or two to make the fossil rock
- Start with clean hands and work area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly.
- Bake clay on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 130 °C (275 °F for US customers) for 15 minutes per 6 mm (1/4”) of thickness. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT exceed the above temperatures or recommended baking time. Baking should be completed by an adult. Wash hands after use.
- Paint the inside and the outside of the wooden box with the craft paint and small foam brush. Set it aside to let it dry thoroughly.
Black Lava Rock:
- Lava tends to be rather sharp and covered with holes and bumps, so make a small lump of black Pluffy clay and texture it really well, using both sides of the bamboo skewer. Set aside on a paper lined baking tray.
- Use the knife tool to cut several small pieces of the beige clay and gently press them together to form the nugget.
- Cover the nugget with Gold Premo Fashion Art Glitter, pressing it into the clay. (NOTE: Do this on a paper plate AWAY from your work area. This way, you can fold the paper plate and pour the leftover glitter back into the container and not have to worry about getting glitter all over the rest of your clay). Set the finished nugget on your baking tray.
Igneous Quartz Nugget:
- Since you probably have some leftover small pieces of beige clay from the Gold nugget, cut up a few small pieces of brown and black Pluffy and push them gently together.
- Texture the brown and black pieces and leave the beige areas smooth to represent the quartz crystals in the rock.
- Add some Silver Premo Fashion Art Glitter to help represent the mica flakes in the rock. Set the finished rock on your baking sheet.
- Use the clay knife tool to cut a rough crystal shape from the opened package of white Pluffy clay.
- Add a small amount of brown clay at the bottom to represent the bed of rock that the crystal is growing in. Before you set the finished crystal on the baking sheet, you can add one or more colors of glitter to the crystal shape.
- Form a small piece of the glow-in-the-dark Pluffy clay into a good rock shape and texture it with your bamboo skewer; Moon rocks tend to have very sharp edges to them so they don't appear to be rounded too often.
- Rub some of the Yellow Premo Fashion Art Glitter onto the surface to make it look like it came from space even when it's not glowing in the dark. Set the finished rock on your baking tray.
Green Agate Pebble:
- Make small “snakes” of green and white clay, make the snake of green larger than the white. The snakes should only be about 3 inches long.
- Twist the two snakes together and continue to twist until the pattern gets pretty small; meaning the bands of color get thinner.
- Pinch the roll in half and roll the twisted clay into a ball and set it on your baking tray. Roll the rest of the clay into a ball to make a second pebble if you wish!
Pink and Brown Sandstones:
- Make snakes of brown and beige or pink and beige clay and follow steps 1 and 2 above for the Green Agate Pebble.
- This time, pinch a small piece off and flatten it in your hand to create a flatten piece of sandstone to represent a section of layered sandstone.
- You can texture the stone if you wish and even add glitter to represent some of the minerals that could be in the sandstone. Place the finished sandstones on your baking tray.
- Cut of a piece of beige clay (to represent the sandstone part of the fossil) about 2x3 inches.
- Lay a piece of real or plastic plant leaf on the clay and roll across the leaf with the plastic roller to press the leaf into the clay.
- Remove the leaf and you will have a fossil patterned rock, place the piece of fossil onto your baking tray.
- AFTER the clay has baked and cooled, you can paint the surface of the fossil with brown paint and quickly, before the paint dries, wipe the top surface with a damp paper towel to remove some of the paint. The paint should stay in the lower parts of the pattern you pressed into it. As a variation: Try pressing a small plastic dinosaur into a piece of clay to make a dinosaur fossil.
- Cut a piece of turquoise clay, like you did for the fossil and smooth the edges slightly with your fingers.
- Use the knife tool, to draw lines for texture through the piece of clay. Place onto your baking tray.
- AFTER the clay has baked and cooled, you can paint it with brown craft paint and quickly, before the paint dries, wipe the top surface with a damp paper towel. You can also use black craft paint to represent the black lines or “matrix” often found in turquoise stones.
- Roll two small brown Pluffy snakes about 3 inches long and twist them together.
- Starting at one end, gently coil the twisted snake to create the round shape of the ammonite. Set on the baking sheet.
Grey and White Granite:
- Make small pebble shapes from white and grey Pluffy.
- Put some pepper into a small dish and put the clay into the pepper and gently press the pepper into the top of the clay.
- If you wish, you can also add some glitter to represent the shiny minerals, such as mica, that could also be present in granite. Set on your baking dish.
- Bake according to the instructions above. Allow the clay to cool.
- Pinch off about ¼ of the package of green and turquoise clay. Press each color as flat as you can and then use the plastic roller to roll it out even and flat to about ¼ inch.
- Use the oval cutter to cut the green clay. Use the wide back of the Sculpey shape tool to gently press the clay from the cutter.
- Use the round cutter to make the turquoise decorations. Press the point of the Sculpey shape tool into the center of each circle.
- Set the piece of paper you selected into place on the painted box top and gently set your clay pieces into place on one side of the paper so that they are positioned half on the paper and half on the wooden box. This will help you determine just how many pieces you need to make.
- Move the pieces to a baking tray and bake the pieces according to the clay package directions.
- Once the pieces have cooled, glue the pieces into place on the box. The clay pieces will hold the paper in place.
- Roll some of the Black clay into a very long small snake and use pieces of this snake to form the letters for “rocks” on a small piece of paper.
- Bake according to the instructions above. Allow the clay to cool. Once the clay is baked and cooled, glue the pieces into place on the paper.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 17 Kids Sunday School Crafts
- 385 Easy Crafts for Kids
- Denim Shorts Chore Chart
- Houses Coloring Page
- Buddy Up With Your Finger Friends
- Eco Friendly Plastic Cup Flowers
- "Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids" eBook
- "22 Summer Crafts for Kids" eBook
- Stylish God's Eye
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids free eBook
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye