Use an Outline and Prepare a Script for Your Craft Videos
By: Maria Nerius, FaveCrafts.com Resident Craft Expert
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
You’ve got your studio ready for taping a video. What’s next? Time to figure out exactly what you want to videotape! Starting with an outline helps. Here's an example of a video I created for FaveCrafts 365, a daily vlog posted on FaveCraftsBlog.
FaveCrafts 365: Outline for May 24
Title of Video: From Lipstick to Glue Stick!
Purpose/Subject: When, who, why and how was the glue stick invented?
Props: Glue stick
Time: Up to 3 minutes
The basics for an outline include a title, a purpose or subject statement, a list of any props or special needs, and how long you want the video to be. The outline can be adjusted as you begin to create your script and video segments.
Once you have that outline, you should write a script for the video. You can be very detailed or as simple as your outline, but the script is your guide to everything you want included in the video.
FaveCrafts 365: Script for May 24
FaveCrafts.com Opening Slide (Time: 3 seconds)
FaveCrafts 365 Opening Slide (Time: 3 seconds)
Title Page Slide (Time: 3 seconds)
Maria: Welcome to FaveCrafts 365, your daily v-log report from FaveCrafts.com, I’m Maria Nerius, resident craft expert.
Maria: Today I was using a glue stick and I got to wondering, “When was this invented?”
Maria: Answer to question.
Maria End: From all of us at FaveCrafts.com, Have A Creative Day! (Time: 2 minutes)
End Credits (Time: 7 seconds)
End FaveCrafts.com Slide with Audio (Time: 5 seconds)
End CutRateCrafts.com Slide with Audio (Time: 3 seconds)
A video should have a title of some kind. For FaveCrafts 365, I open with a slide of the FaveCrafts.com logo than transitions into the FaveCrafts 365 logo. This identifies the video to viewers much like the opening sequence of a TV show. Then a title slide is added. For this video, it is, “From Lipstick… To Glue Stick.”
Next comes the heart or body of the video. For this type of video, it can be one long shot or you can break down the video into segments with transitions between them. For example, in this video I could have done video clips of the standard opening, “Welcome to FaveCrafts 365….” followed by a segment asking the question, “Who invented the glue stick?”
You don’t need end credits, but it is a good idea. Have fun with it and use your creativity. Even the most simple video editing software/applications give you some options for end credits or titles. After end credits, you should finish off the video with a slide or your logo or other trademark-like finish.
Note: I wasn’t too far off my scheduled time, true time: 2:39. For this type of video, I don’t have a strict time limit, which can be the case for some. My advice is to keep your first videos less than 5 minutes. Experts say that the attention span of online video watchers is quite short! It’s estimated that you’ve got about 10 seconds to really catch the viewer’s interest or they will move on to the next video.
Practice! Practice! Practice! It’s important to practice your script. Set up what you need (in the example video, only a glue stick was used as a prop to demonstrate) and run through your video until you are happy with the results. Take the time to review each “take.” You’ll learn from your mistakes, see if you are going out of camera view, hear if your audio is clear and note if you need to add information or delete information out of the video.
Once your video perfected, you will need to do a little video editing!
Video Editing Jargon To Know
Every craft has its own language and video editing is a craft! Here are some keywords you should know before you start your video editing adventures.
- Aspect ratio: Proportional height and width of on-screen picture. “Normal” television has 4:3 ratio while widescreen has 16:9 ratio. There are differences between how NTSC and PAL define this so variations may occur. You can however only output your movie in one set aspect ratio.
- Compositing: Superimposing multiple layers of video or images. Each layer may move independently. Titles are a simple and common example of compositing.
- Crawl: Text or graphics, usually special announcements that move across the screen horizontally, typically from right to left across the bottom of the screen.
- Cross-fade: Simultaneous fade-in of one audio or video source as another fades out so that they overlap temporarily. Also called a dissolve.
- Cut: Instantaneous change from one shot to another.
- Cutaway: Shot of something other than principal action (but peripherally related), frequently used as transitional footage or to avoid a jump cut.
- Fade: Very common transition when one frame dissolves into the next frame using mattes or graphics of some kind.
- Raw footage: Pre-edited footage, usually direct from the camcorder.
- Roll: Text or graphics, usually credits that move up or down the screen, typically from bottom to top.
- Sound bite: Any short recorded audio segment for use in an edited program usually a highlight taken from an interview.
- Sound effects: Contrived audio, usually pre-recorded, incorporated with a video soundtrack to resemble a real occurrence. Blowing on a microphone, for example, might simulate wind to accompany hurricane images.
- Soundtrack: The audio portion of a video recording, often multifaceted with natural sound, voiceovers, background music, etc.
- Sweetening: Post-production process of adding music and sound effects or otherwise enhancing the existing audio with filters and other effects.
- timeline editing A computer-based method of editing, in which bars proportional to the length of a clip represent video and audio clips on a computer screen.
- Voiceover: Audio from an unseen narrator accompanying video, heard above background sound or music.
- Wipe: Transition from one shot to another, where a moving line or pattern reveals the new shot. In its simplest form it simulates a window shade being drawn.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Tips for Selling at Craft Fairs or Markets
- Can I Sell a Project I Make Using Someone Else's Pattern?
- Cashing In On Your Creativity: Turning a Hobby into Income
- How To Start a Craft Business
- Wardrobe Wonderful DIY Hangers
- Your Market Counts in Pricing
- Selling Licensed or Trademarked Work
- How to Formulate an Effective Blog Post
- Get that Product to Smile How to Take Great Pictures of Your Crafts
- Be An Original Copyright and Original Designs
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques