Make a butterfly collage card as a gift for any special occasion, designed by Tracie Lyn Huskamp. Use miscellaneous collage materials such as lace, vintage texts and papers.
- Copyright-free Butterfly Image or Photograph Image
- Muslin Fabric
- Mechanical Pencil
- Acrylic Paints
- Blank Greeting Card
- Collage Materials: Lace, Vintage Papers, Fabric, etc.
- Needle and thread
- Using a copyright free image or photograph of a butterfly, transfer the image to a piece of typing/copy paper via your computer and printer or a copier.
- Cut a small piece of 200-thread count bleach muslin fabric slightly larger than the butterfly, and lay the fabric over the image.
- Using a mechanical pencil, trace the outline of the butterfly onto the fabric.
- Be sure to capture any important details shown, such as the body or large wing markings.
- Using your favorite acrylic paints, select colors that match the butterfly image. Apply paint to the fabric, remembering to wash your brush thoroughly when changing to a new color.
- Once you finish painting your image, take a pair of sharp, small scissors and carefully cut the butterfly out.
- Be sure to trim close enough to remove all traces of the unpainted bleached muslin fabric around the outside of the wings and body.
- Now gather a blank greeting card, envelope, and miscellaneous collage materials such as vintage papers, lace, other fabrics.
- Arrange the various collage materials and attach to the front of the blank greeting card using paste or double stick tape.
- Stitch your painted butterfly to the collaged greeting card using a needle and thread. One or two stitches is enough to hold the butterfly securely in place.
You now have a lovely artful card.