This sophisticated and stylish triptych features a dramatic and rich golden color. This stunning design is sure to be a conversation piece.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Sheets, one each: 12" x 36" x ½"; 12" x 36" x 1"
- Black acrylic paint
- Decorative papers, 12" x 12" sheets: three coordinating distressed-look; one herringbone; one matte gold swirl
- Embossed black art paper, 22" x 30", two sheets in different patterns
- Gold oven-bake polymer clay
- Rubber stamp cube
- Gold rub-on finish
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Sharp pencil
- Ruler or T-square
- Medium flat paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Putty knife, 1"
- Craft pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick paste
- Hook-and-loop tape picture hangers
1. Measure and mark three 7" x 7-1/2" rectangles onto 1/2"-thick foam sheet. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut out shapes on lines. Use marker to divide 1"-thick foam sheet into three 12"-wide sections; do not cut foam.
2. Paint edges of rectangles and large foam sheet black. Paint 1/2"-wide black border around fronts of shapes and 1"-wide border along marker lines on large sheet. Let dry.
3. Cut two 12" squares from same embossed art paper and one 12" square from second embossed art paper. Use putty knife to apply paste to outer sections of large foam sheet; adhere paper and smooth with fingers. Repeat with third paper square in center section. Pin paper corners with craft pins and weight with heavy books until dry. Remove pins.
4. Cut one 7" x 7-1/2" rectangle from each distressed-look paper. Paste papers to foam rectangles; weight with heavy books until dry.
5. Cut three 4" x 4-1/2" rectangles from herringbone paper; paste to center of each larger rectangle. Cut three 3" squares from matte gold swirl paper; paste to centers of herringbone rectangles. Use glue gun to adhere foam rectangles to larger sheet as shown.
6. Follow manufacturer's directions to create three stamped clay motifs, each approximately 2-3/4" square; bake as indicated and let cool. Glue clay motifs to center of each panel.
7. Follow manufacturer's directions to carefully apply gold rub-on finish to raised areas of clay motifs and embossed papers.
8. Tie raffia together to make two 1" x 16" lengths. Glue raffia around foam sheet where embossed paper edges meet. Glue ends at back of sheet. Adhere hook-and-loop hangers to top back edge of foam sheet.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.