Angel of Crafting
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Let this Angel of Crafting from Polyform watch over you as you work. This tutorial on how to make your own angel out of household materials is easier than it looks. Made with various odds and ends, this crafty angel is perfect for creative hearts. Hang this cute guardian above your workspace, or take her with you wherever you go by using her as a necklace charm. Whenever you're feeling uninspired, the Angel of Crafting will lift your spirits.
You can find this project, as well as many other Polymer clay tutorials, in our free eBook, 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Decor and More!
- Premo! Accents: Gold - 2 oz-- 1 block
- Premo! Accents: Silver - 2 oz-- 1 block
- Premo! Sculpey®: Pomegranate - 2 oz-- 1 block
- Clay Conditioning Machine
- Sculpey® 5-in-1 Tool Kit
- Sculpey® Super Slicer
- Sculpey® Bake & Bond
- 2 - 2" lengths of 20 gauge gold-tone craft wire
- 3” length of 20 gauge gold tone craft wire
- 6” length of 24 gauge annealed steel wire
- 2 - 1” Brass Filigree Leaves
- 1 1/8” Hardware Screw
- Small Bunch of Kitchen Steel Wool
- 2 Angel charms
- 2 Tiny glass marbles, (or two seed beads of your choice of size and color)
- Dark Burnt Umber acrylic paint
- One piece of black stiff felt cut to fit inside of back of frame, (we used a piece 2 5/8” by 3 1/8”)
- Frame-size of your choice. We used a frame with outer measurements of 3 1/2” wide by 4”. Inside measurements of 2 5/8” by 3 1/8”.
- Needle nose pliers
- Needle nose tweezers
- Wire cutters
- Sponge or soft rag
Do not use unbaked clay on unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Start with clean hands and work surface area. Good work surfaces include wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean your hands in between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275 °F (130 °C) for 30 minutes per 1/4” (6 mm) thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE OVEN. DO NOT EXCEED THE ABOVE TEMPERATURE OR RECOMMENDED BAKING TIME. Wash hands after use. Baking should be completed by an adult.
Begin by preheating oven to 275 °F (130 °C). Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay. For best results, condition all clay by running it through the clay dedicated pasta machine several passes on the widest setting. Fold the clay in half after each pass and insert the fold side into the rollers first.
Using Gold clay form a ball about 5/8” in diameter, and gradually shape into a rectangle measuring about 7/8” long by 1/2” wide and 1/4” deep.
Take the screw and in a winding motion, screw it into the bottom of the rectangle about 1/2 half of the way, (leaving about 5/8” showing).
Using Gold clay form the head shaping a ball about 1/2” in diameter. Lay it on your work surface and press to flatten just slightly. Apply Bake & Bond to the top of the rectangle and gently press the head onto the body.
Shape two small pea sized pieces of Gold clay (approx. 1/4” diameter), slightly flatten and after applying a dab of Bake & Bond onto both press them firmly onto the rectangle to make shoulders.
To make the halo, take the 3” piece of wire and bend it in half, forming a circle by twisting the wire around the end of the Needle tool from the 5 in 1 Tool Set and twisting the ends until they meet and are wound together. A needle nose pliers is helpful to finish winding them together to a point. Push the halo partially into the back top of the head leaving enough room to apply her steel wool hair under the halo. You can bend the halo to a right angle after the piece is baked. Smooth the angel’s head and face if needed.
To make her arms, take one of the 2” pieces of gold tone wire, and bend it in half and cross the ends to make a smallish loop to which you add the charm, making sure that it is hanging with its front faced forward. Use needle nose pliers to grab the loop and twist the ends with your hands. Wind the ends to a neat point with the pliers. Repeat with the other 2” wire adding the second charm.
Apply a dab of Bake & Bond to the point of the “arms” and push the arms into the shoulders about ½ of the length of the arms, (leaving about ½” of the arms showing). Position the arms the way you like, though you can adjust them after baking.
Using the Clay Conditioning Machine on the #6 setting, roll out a sheet of Gold clay.
Using the Rigid Blade from the Super Slicer Set, cut a piece of clay 1 1/8” long by 3/8” wide. Turn the angel over and apply Bake and Bond on an area of about 1 1/8” long by 3/8”, starting at about the middle of the head and down the back.
Lay the 6” length of annealed 24 gauge steel wire centered on the back of her head and back.
Place the two filigree leaves centered, and over the “shoulders”. Then attach the flat piece of clay on the middle of the back of the piece over the wire and ends of the leaves. Press slightly and smooth edges to attach firmly.
Turn the entire piece over and place onto your baking surface. Smooth out any imperfections on the front of her face/head, shoulders, and body with your fingertips.
To add the eyes, take your needle nose tweezers and place each glass marble in the middle of her face and using the tip of your tweezers, or your fingers, press them into the clay, almost flush with the surrounding clay.
Add a generous amount of Bake & Bond to the top of her head and add the steel wool for her hair.
Take a tiny piece of silver clay, (approx. 1/8”) and form a small ball. Lay it on your work surface and press almost flat. Using the blade from the 5 in 1 Clay Tool Set, gently press several lines from the middle of the circle to the outer edge making a starburst pattern.
Add a bit of Bake & Bond over your angel’s heart area. Gently press the round piece of silver clay onto the body.
To form the heart, take a tiny piece of the Pomegranate clay, roll it into a ball, (approx. 1/16”) and then roll one end into a point to form a teardrop shape. Lay it on a flat surface, and use the blade from the 5 in 1 Clay Tool Set to make an indentation to form a heart. Place a tiny bead of Bake & Bond in the center of the silver circle. Press very gently to attach and center the heart.
Using the Needle Tool from the 5-in-1 Clay tool Set, pierce the shoulders to make tiny holes to look like rivets.
You can add texture to the rest of her body by using the 5 in 1 Clay Tool Set to carve interesting designs into the clay.
Bake as directed above.
Using your paintbrush, apply the Dark Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint to the body and shoulders of your angel.
Quickly, before the paint dries, use a dampened sponge, or soft rag to remove the paint from the surface of the clay but leaving paint in the cracks, crevices, stamped and carved areas. This will add depth and accent the textures of your piece.
The wire ends on the back of the angel will need to go through holes in the felt, and then twisted together on the other side of the felt to fasten the piece to it.
Center your angel on the pre-measured piece of stiff black felt.
Tip the piece enough to mark the felt under the angel with a pencil where the holes should be. You can measure with a ruler before attaching to make sure the piece will be centered properly.
Using the Needle Tool from the 5-in-1 Tool Set, poke two holes in the felt where you marked with your pencil, for the wires to thread through. Once the wire is placed through the holes make sure the angel is lying flat on the felt. Turn the entire piece over and bend the wires to meet, and twist them to fasten the angle to the felt. Make sure the wire ends are laying flat too.
- Add the felt to the frame and replace the back of the frame and secure.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Use Polymer Clay: 21 Polymer Clay Tutorials
- "24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Decor and More" free eBook
- 20 Clay Crafts for Adults
- Opaque Flower Clay
- Adorable Clay Pig
- Clay Jewelry Dish
- 6 Polymer Clay Jewelry Tutorials
- Glitter Clay Beads
- Angel of Crafting
- Ladybug Clay Pot Friend
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques