This Easy Yarn Snowman with Crocheted Hat and Scarf from Red Heart Yarn is so easy to make! Christmas decorations don't have to break the bank...you can make them yourself! Plus this snowman craft can stay up all winter long!
Find more festive holiday patterns in Red Heart's special eBook, Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects.
- Red Heart® Spark-a-Doodle™ Art. E770 available in 3.5 oz (100 g), 62 yd (57 m) balls: 1 ball 9001 White Cloud A
- Red Heart® Super Saver® Art. E300 available in solid color 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); multicolor, heather and print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m), flecks 5 oz (141g), 260 yds (238 m)
- skeins: 1 skein each 656 Real Teal B and 672 Spring Green C
- Crochet hook, 4mm [US G-6]
- Styrofoam balls: One 4” and one 5”
- Buttons: two ¾” black and one ½” orange
- Sharp razor knife
- Craft glue
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 12 sts = 4”; 16 rows = 4” in sc. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
bpdc (back post double crochet): yarn over, insert hook from back to front to back around the post of indicated stitch and draw yarn through, [yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] twice.
- Using the razor knife, cut a small slice off of the larger Styrofoam ball, so that the ball sits flat. Insert the toothpick halfway into the smaller ball and insert the opposite half of the toothpick into the top center of the larger ball. Add a drop of craft glue between the two balls and push them together. Allow glue to dry.
- Coat both balls with craft glue, one at a time. Carefully wrap the balls with A, taking care to completely cover both balls. It is necessary to loop the strand portion of the yarn to cluster the pompoms closely together. Allow glue to dry. Using craft glue, glue the black buttons to the smaller ball to make the snowman’s eyes and the orange button for the nose.
- Round 1: With B, ch 4; join with slip st to first ch to form a ring; ch 1, 12 sc in ring; join with slip st in first sc.
- Round 2: Ch 1, [sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times; join – 18 sc. Drop B and carry up wrong side of work.
- Round 3: With C, ch 1, sc in each sc around; join.
- Round 4: Ch 1, [2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc] 9 times; join – 27 sc. Drop C; pick up B.
- Round 5: With B, ch 1, sc in first sc, [2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc] 13 times; join – 40 sc.
- Round 6: Ch 1, sc in each sc around; join. Drop B; pick up C.
- Rounds 7 and 8: With C, ch 1, sc in each sc around; join. Drop C; pick up B.
- Rounds 9 and 10: With B, ch 1, sc in each sc around; join. Drop B; pick up C.
- Rounds 11-16: Repeat Rounds 7-10, then Rounds 7 and 8 once more.
- Round 17: With B, ch 3, skip first sc, dc in next sc and in each sc around; join in top of ch-3.
- Rounds 18 and 19: Ch 3, dc in next dc, bpdc around next 2 sts, [dc in next 2 dc, bpdc around next 2 sts] 9 times; join in top of ch-3. Fasten off at end of Round 19. Weave in ends.
- Leave 2” yarn tails when joining and fastening off.
- With B, ch 85. Fasten off.
- Row 1 (Right Side): With C, slip st in each st across.
- Fasten off.
- Row 2: With right side facing, join B; slip st in each st across. Fasten off.
- Rows 3-6: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 twice.
- Trim yarn tails on both ends to 1½” for fringe.
- Place hat and scarf on prepared snowman.