By: Daniel Boone for Styrofoam Brand Foam
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Using different colored felt, some wire, paints and a few other materials you can have this fun wobbling santa moving around in your home. It's a great Christmas craft that the kids will love having in the house.
STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- 1- 4" x 12" cone
- 1- 4" ball
- 2- white and 2- red chenille stems
- 1- 1" white pompom
- 1- 20mm wiggle eyes, pair
- 7- stems 24-28 gauge floral wire
- pink acrylic paint
- polyester batting
- 30- glass marbles (or other suitable items for weight)
- Thin floral wire
- Wire cutters
- Craft glue or glue gun and glue sticks
- Serrated knife
- Straight pins
- Soup spoon
- Large-eyed needle
- 1- 6" x 12" flesh
- 1- 2" x 2" gold
- 1- 4" x 4" green
- 1- 3" x 14" black
- 1- 10" x 18" white
- 1- 15" x 15" red
To make body and base, cut ball in half; slightly flatten bottom of one half. Cut off top 4" of cone; measure and mark 5" from cone base.
Use spoon to scoop out plastic foam from half ball and lower 4" of cone, leaving a 1/4" to 1/2" outer shell. Do not break through foam.
From flesh felt cut a 4" x 12" strip for head and 1 1/2"circle for nose (use compass to draw circle). Stitch around outside edge of nose; pull up gathers loosely and stuff with batting. Pull gathers tightly; twist ends together and cut excess wire.
Glue felt nose to center of head strip. Using your fingertip, pat on pink painted cheeks; let dry. Glue wiggle eyes above nose. Form tube with head strip, overlapping and gluing 4" ends together at center back.
Sew a running stitch around bottom of head tube. Place tube on top of cone so wire is even with marked line on core; pull wire to gather and twist to secure. Stuff head lightly with batting. Sew running stitch at top of head tube; pull wire to gather and twist to secure.
Cut (2) 4" x 12" pieces of white felt; fold lengthwise and glue long edges together. From fold to glued edges, cut slits to create fringe; do not cut through glued edges. Glue fringe around face for beard. Glue a piece of fringe around head for hair. Glue small piece under nose for mustache.
For hat pattern, draw (1) 11" diameter circle on paper. Fold in quarters and use one quarter as hat pattern; cut hat from red felt. Glue red chenille stem to one straight edge of felt hat; cut off excess stem. Overlap and glue straight edges together.
For hatband, trim 1" wide strip from bottom of hat pattern; cut hatband from white felt. Glue hatband around bottom edge of hat. Glue pom pom to tip of hat. Glue hat on head; shape as desired by bending chenille stem.
From red felt cut (2) coat pieces from Pattern A and (2) sleeves from Pattern B. Cut (2) belt pieces from black felt (Pattern A); buckle from gold felt (Pattern C); (4) mittens from green felt (Pattern D). From white felt, cut trim for sleeves (Pattern B) and coat (Pattern A).
Glue trim to coat, extending 1/2" beyond bottom edge. Overlap and glue together edges of two coat sections; glue in place. Placing seam at center back of cone, wrap coat around plastic foam body; overlap edges and glue in front.
Glue ends of belt together. Cut slits in belt buckle as shown in Pattern C; thread belt through slits in buckle; slide buckle to end of belt. Glue to coat at waist with buckle in center.
For each arm, cut one 5" length of white chenille stem. Glue two mittens together, with one end of 5" chenille stem sandwiched in the middle; repeat with other mitten.
For each sleeve, glue cuff to bottom edge, extending 1/4" beyond sleeve. With cuff on outside, overlap and glue straight edges of each sleeve to form a cone-shaped tube. With thumbs pointing up, insert one arm into each sleeve.
Gather stitch along shoulder of sleeves; pull up gathers tightly around top of arm. Using screwdriver, punch one hole in each side of body below head; glue top of sleeve in each hole. Shape arm as desired.
Turn body upside down; fill with marbles. Pin base to bottom of body; test for "wobbliness" and add or remove marbles as needed. Remove pins and glue base to bottom of body.
- Spiral wrap one white and one red chenille stem together around skewer; slip spirals from skewer. Shape to form candy cane; glue cane to one hand.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Teardrop Christmas Ornaments
- Angelic Snow Angels
- "7 DIY Christmas Gifts: Handmade Gift Ideas You'll Love" free eBook
- Unique Tampon Angel Christmas Ornament
- Glittery Tree Vase
- "Make it a Red Heart Holiday" eBook from Red Heart Yarns
- Crochet Snowman Family
- Christmas Goodie Pop Top Cans
- Top 20 Ways to Recycle After the Holidays with Crafting
- Quick Spiral Quilt Christmas Tree Skirt
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- T-shirt DIY Dog Toy
- Reversible Fabric DIY Headbands
- Pretty Bird DIY Birdhouses
- Denim Pockets DIY Organizer
- Snowball Fight Snowman Crafts
- Heart Stamped DIY Box
- Girls' Bolero Free Sewing Pattern
- Magnet Makeover Chalkboard Paint Ideas
- Last-Minute DIY Valentine
- Paper Box DIY Candle Holder