These cute santa hat ornaments are great Christmas crafts for anyone. You can keep them for yourself to decorate your tree or you can give them as a gift.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls, 1-1/2", three
- Cones, 6" x 3", two
- Wool roving: red; green; natural
- Serrated knife
- Red embroidery floss
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Felting needle
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Embroidery needle
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 2"-thick slice from bottom of each foam cone; set aside. Cut remaining portion of each cone in half lengthwise; flat side forms ornament back. Press foam balls against work surface to flatten bottoms slightly.
- For pom poms, loosely cover each ball with one color of wool roving. Follow felting needle manufacturer's instructions to felt roving into place. Note: Keep fingers safely out of the way when felting; needles are extremely sharp. Continue needlefelting until roving is tight against foam surface.
- Loosely cover one half-cone with natural roving and two more half-cones with green. Felt roving into place.
- For polka dot hat, roll and needlefelt eight small red balls to green hat. Pull 1" x 8" natural strip and loosely needlefelt around bottom for trim.
- For striped hat, pull seven 1/2" x 8" red strips and wrap evenly spaced around green hat; needlefelt to hat. Pull 1" x 8" green strip and loosely needlefelt around bottom for trim. Roll and needlefelt 10 small natural balls to trim and green pom pom.
- For plaid hat, pull three 1/2" x 5" red strips. Needlefelt one strip down center of hat and other two evenly spaced on each side. Pull six 1/2" x 9" roving strips, three red and three green. Refer to photo to felt red strips horizontally around hat and green strips diagonally. Pull 1" x 8" red strip and loosely needlefelt around bottom for trim. Roll and needlefelt three small green balls to center red line as shown.
- Glue pom poms to hats as shown. Cut three 8" floss lengths. Stitch one length through top of each pom pom; knot ends to create hanging loop.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
If you like this project, we also suggest:
Santa Hat Knitting Pattern
Santa and Reindeer Ornaments