Make your tree sparkle with snowflake ornaments. Paints and pearls are just the perfect touch you need to make this a beauty.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Sheer iridescent or metallic wire-edged ribbon, 1/2" to 5/8" wide, 20" length
- Blue acrylic paint
- Faux pearl beads (optional, see instructions)
- Ultrafine iridescent glitter
- Bright white printer paper (lightweight)
- Acrylic spackling
- Wooden skewer
- Soft paintbrush
- Palette knife, 1"
- Small disposable bowl
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Circle templates, 2" and 3"
- Fine sandpaper
- Paper towels
- Straight pins (optional, see instructions)
- Découpage medium
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temperature iron (optional)
- Place small amount of spackling into disposable bowl and mix well with palette knife until smooth. Add tiny bit of water if spackling seems too thick.
- Insert wooden skewer into bottom of foam ball. Holding skewer, use palette knife to apply even coat of spackling to surface of ball. Place in heavy glass or jar to dry. Lightly sand surface until smooth.
- Apply second coat of spackling, if desired; let dry and sand surface. Wipe surface with damp paper towel to remove dust. Paint ball blue; let dry.
- Cut several 2"-3" circles from white paper. Fold each circle in half, then in half again. Cut each circle into a snowflake design. To remove folds, lightly press each snowflake with low-temperature iron. Glue snowflakes to ball.
- Holding skewer handle, brush light, even coat of découpage medium over surface of ball. While wet, sprinkle ball with glitter; shake off excess.
- If desired, use craft pins and dots of glue to attach faux pearl beads to center and tips of paper snowflakes; let dry. Remove skewer from ball.
- Cut 8" ribbon length and knot ends for hanger. Glue and insert knot into hole left by skewer. Tie remaining ribbon into loopy bow and glue to base of hanger.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.