Using felt and foam you can have a cute Christmas scene statue. This is great for under the tree or on top of a table. However you choose to use it you can have it for years to come.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: 1-1/2"; 1"
- Disc, 9" x 1-1/4"
- Sheets: 36" x 12" x 1"; 36" x 12" x 1/2"
- Felt: 36"cream, 1 yd.; black scrap
- Red/black gingham fabric scrap
- Paint: textured snow; white, black fine-tip dimensional; orange acrylic
- Natural needled cotton quilt batting, 1/4 yd.
- Glitter: ultra-fine iridescent; cut crystal
- Miniatures: bottle brush trees, 4", two; bottle brush wreath, 1"; wire candy canes, 2", six
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Flexible spatula
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Small round paintbrush
- Disposable palette
- Scissors: regular; scallop-edge fabric
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut patterns from 1"-thick foam sheet. In addition, cut following pieces from 1"-thick foam sheet: two 5" squares (front/back of house); two 5" x 8" (roof panels); 1-1/4" x 2-1/4" (chimney).
- Glue house sides, front and back together, forming a box. Apply glue to toothpick ends and push through foam corners to reinforce joints.
- Glue roof panels together and glue to top of house; secure with toothpicks. Refer to photo to glue chimney to roof; secure with toothpicks.
- Cut a 1/2"-tall, 1/2"-diameter cylinder from 1/2"-thick foam sheet for chimney spout. Glue spout to chimney.
- Cut out pattern as indicated. In addition, cut the following pieces from cream felt: two 5" x 7" (front/back of house); two 5" x 8" (roof panels); and the path to the front door. Trace foam disc twice onto cream felt; cut out and glue discs to top and bottom of foam disc. Glue remaining felt pieces to corresponding foam pieces (do not glue down walkway until Step 6).
- Cut four 1/2" x 5" strips from batting; glue strips to short sides of roof. Cut four 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" windows, one 1" round window, and one 1-1/2" x 2" door from batting; refer to photo to glue windows and door to house. Glue walkway to disc as shown.
- Use scallop-edge scissors to cut four more 1/2" x 5" strips from batting; glue to house corners where sections meet. Cut two 1/2" x 7-1/2" strips from batting; glue strips to long sides of roof.
- Refer to photo and use spatula to apply snow paint to house, paying special attention to where snow would naturally accumulate.
- Use black paint to draw window panes. Use white paint to outline windows, walkway, and to add random icicle-like drips in various areas. Paint tip of one toothpick orange; let dry.
- Glue foam balls together; secure with toothpick through center. Apply thin layer of snow paint to entire snowman; carefully glue snowman to disc. Glue bottle brush trees and wreath to disc and door. Push candy canes into disc along walkway.
- Cut following pieces from black felt for hat: 1" x 4" strip; 1/4" circle; 3/4" circle. Roll strip into cylinder and glue seam to make crown. Glue small circle to top of hat and larger circle to bottom for brim. Glue hat to snowman's head. Tear a 1/4" x 6" strip from gingham fabric; tie scarf around neck.
- Use black paint to dot snowman with eyes, mouth and buttons. Cut tip from painted toothpick; insert carrot nose into face.
- Cut a 1" x 32-1/2" strip from cream felt; glue around edge of disc. While paint is still wet, sprinkle entire house with both kinds of glitter.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.