Using acrylic paints and felt you can have a cute snowman candleholder. This is a great Christmas craft for anyone to have in their home around this special holiday. It can be used over and over.
- STYROFOAM* Brand Foam:
- Ball, 5"
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1"
- Blue felt, or color of choice, 4" x 24"
- Air-dry modeling compound
- Acrylic paints: off-white; cream; lt. cream; dk. burgundy; dk. brown; orange
- Candle, 3" x 3"
- BBs, fishing line weights, or other weighted material
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Waxed paper
- Paintbrushes: medium flat; small round
- Disposable palette
- Small carpenter's level
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Glue: plastic foam; fabric
- Optional: Clay toolsThick, white craft glue
- Use compass to draw one 4-1/2" circle and two 4" circles on foam sheet. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; cut out foam discs. Sand cut edges with foam scrap, gently rounding edges of 4-1/2" disc and one 4" disc as shown in photo. Cut 1-1/2" hole in center of remaining 4" disc. Cut 1/2"-thick slice from top and bottom of foam ball head, being sure cuts are parallel.
- Glue disc with hole to center top of 4-1/2" disc; let dry. Tightly pack hole with weighted material. Center and glue bottom of foam ball over hole; glue remaining disc to top of ball. Check candleholder with level, adjusting as needed. Let dry 24 hours.
- Cover work surface with waxed paper. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition modeling compound. Use fingers to press small amount of modeling compound into and across surface, continuing until all foam surfaces are covered with thin, even layer. Use wet fingers and clay tools, if desired, to smooth surface.
- Roll 1" ball of modeling compound. Gently mold ball into 2" cone-shaped nose. Flatten base against work surface. Moisten base with water; press to face. Smooth edges where nose meets face.
- Roll two 1/2" balls (eyes) and six 3/8" balls (mouth) of modeling compound. Flatten balls to 1/4"-thick discs; smooth edges with wet fingertips as needed. Brush water on back of discs and press to head, flattening to 3/16" thickness. Smooth edges with small paintbrush and water. Let dry completely.
- Sand rough edges; surface does not have to be completely smooth. Wipe dust with damp paper towel.
- Paint snowman as follows: head and lower 4" foam disc off-white; nose and remaining foam discs dk. burgundy; eyes and mouth dk. brown. Let dry.
- Dry brush entire candleholder with cream. To dry brush, dip brush into water and dry on paper towel until just damp. Dip brush tip into paint; brush gently on palette to work paint into bristles. Wipe brush on paper towel to remove excess paint, then lightly brush color across surface using bristle tips only.
- Mix equal parts lt. cream and water; paint over head and neck. Mix equal parts orange and water; paint over dk. burgundy areas.
- For scarf, fold each long edge of felt strip over 1/2"; glue to secure. Cut 1/2"-wide, 1"-long fringe into each short end of scarf. Tie around neck; spot glue to secure.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.