There are so many ways to show your festive side during the holiday season. Why not create homemade Christmas gifts that are anything but ordinary? A Reverse Painted Holiday Ornament Plate from Tiffany Windsor is adorable and perfect for a party.
- Tulip Slick 3D Paint
- Paper towels
- Blue low mask painters tape
- Clear glass plate
- Circle or ornament pattern
- Craft knife
- Glass paint – green, red, purple, apple green, black
- Paint brushes – soft
- Clean plate with alcohol and paper towels on both sides to remove any reside and finger prints. Apply tape to back of pattern, align in desired position and press face down onto front of plate.
- This is how your pattern should look positioned on the front of the plate. This view is looking at the back of the plate.
- Shake the paint into the tip of the bottle and test on paper towel. You want to be certain that no air bubbles are present in the paint as they can cause your paint to spatter.
- Hold tip to plate, squeeze paint and trace lines.
- Continue tracing until all lines are complete.
- If desired, add dots to background of plate. Let paint dry completely overnight.
- Remove pattern from plate.
- Check pattern lines to see if any minor clean-up is needed. I use the tip of my craft knife to clean up any spatters.
- Continuing to work on the back of the plate, brush one-coat of paint onto pattern.
- Repeat for all colors. Let first coat dry completely and then apply 1-2 more coats.
- Paint background with 2 – 3 coats of paint letting dry between each coat.
- Once ornament and background are completely painted, paint overcoat of black or gold over entire back of plate. Let dry completely.
- Now your plate is ready to serve some special holiday treats. Remember hand-crafted hand-wash! Do not immerse or soak your plate in water or paint can lift. Just use a damp sponge to gently clean off your hand-painted plate.
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Make a Reverse Painted Holiday Plate.